We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 20
Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Avoid renting a house from this company. Their property manager is rude, unprofessional and less than truthful. If Alex Rivera is the property manager avoid this company at all costs.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
1. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Thanks for the heads up, it would be helpful to know what happened so other travelers can avoid the same mishap. Thanks!

new york
2. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

The problem was with the property manager that handles all of Vacation Villas rentals. He is rude, unprofessional and has no problem lying to cover his mistakes. We arrived at Vacation Villas at check in time. No one was there. Not having a cell phone, we had to find an internet connection and call him on Skype. He blamed us saying that he told us to call him when we got to Quepos. No such instructions were ever sent. Upon arriving at the house, he let us in told us how to use the a/c and restart the whirlpool if it stopped working and left. We had two days of a worker building a fence at the house right next to the pool. We were told he would start at 10, leave at 3 and would not use any power tools. He arrived at 8, left at 5 and used power tools.

The bedroom on the lower level had not been cleaned. The rancho by the pool was filthy. He told us it was the pool man's job to keep the area clean. Never happened.

Without notice he paraded the owner and another man through the house to check on the fence that had been built.

We left him a list of details in the house that needed fixing. He told us they worked. The dishwasher was not attached to the counter and kept breaking and falling out. The toaster did not work which he tried repeatedly tried to show us that it did work and finally gave up and admitted that it didn't.

The final straw was when he "found" two inch long tears in a cotton comforter (there were no pillowcases on the beds only shams that matched the comforter) and accused us creating the damage and that we owed the owner $180.

We felt so uncomfortable with his attitude that we left the tip for the maid in the dryer as we felt he would pocket it.

He is slovenly dressed and poorly groomed and doesn't realize he is in a service business. We have rented many houses all over Costa Rica and have never had to deal with such a distasteful person. So find another place to rent from with a capable and professional property manager who understands that it is his job to please the clients.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
3. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Wow, thank you for sharing, that is just wrong on so many levels. Sorry for asking, just didn't seem fair to throw out am ambiguous comment on someone with no defense. But to have all that go on during your visit is inexcusable, so I can see why you would warn people. Thanks for the heads up!

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

My God...not good...thank you for let all us know,,,

roadadivsor

new york
5. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

No problem in explaining what went wrong. Vacation Villas rents expensive homes and they need to have a professional representing the homes they rent.

San Francisco...
reviews: 25
6. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

I have a friend and family members who rented very nice houses through him, and according to what they told me, all went well and they were very happy. But that's terrible you had such a rotten experience, it can really ruin a vacation. I did try to rent a place through this guy, but he never got back to me again about available properties, maybe that's for the best so we avoided a bad experience. Sounds hit or miss with this company.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
7. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Yikes! that's all I got...

Bethany, Canada
reviews: 12
8. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

I have rented a villa from this company! Haven't been yet. Any suggestions how to deal with him. This is a family reunion and was so looking forward to it. Now I wonder if I have made a huge mistake. What villa did you rent?

Edited: 1:12 pm, March 18, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

Pjl thanks for sharing. Good to know

new york
10. Re: Avoid Renting from Vacation Villas of Costa Rica

I would insist on checking out whatever house you are renting from top to bottom and noting any damages no matter how slight before the "property manager" who is incredibly unprofessional leaves. Check carefully, so at the end of your stay you will not be blamed for damages that had previously occurred. If not, you will be blamed for any damage in the house and Vacation Villas will charge you credit card for damages they claim happened when you were at the house as you are leaving the house.

Read the form they make you sign before you take possession of the house. If they will not agree to a walk through, make sure you give yourself an hour or so to inspect the house as soon as you arrive and notify the agent of any problems you find immediately.

Good luck. We rented Casa Maria and our problem was not with the house it was with the property manager of Vacation Villas. Very unprofessional, dishonest, slovenly and rude.

I would not rent from this agency again.