We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

hello,

my wife and i are looking for a hotel that is walking distance to the town, shops and restaurants.

any suggesitions on any nicer hotels that fit the bill?

thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

Most nice hotels in Manuel Antonio are located at the top of the hills...some great ones...Buena Vista Villas and Casas...Si Como No...Issimo...Tulemar Bungalows...SUU...Los Altos...MAriposa...

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 122
2. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

We liked Mango Moon; it's on the hill with the other hotels. We were able to walk to Cafe Milagro, Cafe Agua Azul, Salsipuedes, Barba Roja, and Si Como No from there. You just have to be careful along the road.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
3. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

Manuel Antonio is more a state of mind than a concentrated place. It conjures up nature and beaches. It basically takes in everything along the 7 km road from just outside Quepos to MA park and several side roads branching off it. There are various hotels and restaurants along the road

There are several pockets with more clusters of activity .

One is right near the park / public beach . There is a supermarket (Super Joseth Express), bakery (Musmanni) several restaurants like Marlin's. The beach vendors selling souvenirs are now located in the area right near Mar y Sombra.

Then as you go up the MA road toward the town of Quepos, there are a couple of other areas that have various restaurants and things in close proximity to each other.

In her post Volcanogirl talks about one of those clusters - with some restaurants and hotels in walking distance. And she also wisely points out that much of the area is not actually that conducive to walking - especially at night.

Quepos is a small town at the end of the road with all the stuff towns have. - shops, restaurants, post office supermarkets. But you probably don't want to stay there. .

You have received some good suggestions - but not sure of your budget. When you say "nice" do you mean high end?

raquel

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 114
4. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

I like a couple of small hotels that are walking distance to the beach, the national park, the grocery store and several restaurants:

La Posada Jungle: http://www.laposadajungle.com/index.htm

Verde Mar: http://www.verdemar.com/

As people mentioned there are many, many other hotels farther up the road but the walking is not good along the road. Thre is a bus that runs all day and you can catch it into town so that's an option! For nicer hotels I like Buena Vista Villas/Tulemar: www.buenavistaluxuryvillas.com/index.php

Arenas del Mar: http://www.arenasdelmar.com/

usa
5. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

thanks for all of the recommendations. i noticed no one recommends Gaia. Is there a reason? it seems beautiful. is it far out of the way?

thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
6. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

I have only had drinks and tapas at Gaia so can't comment on the rooms and general hotel service.. But it looks like a lovely property. The thing is the location. It is not a bad location "per se" - it is in our "neighbourhod as our condo is about a 5 minute walk from there. It is much closer to Quepos - just over a mile - than the MA beach/park area. Some of the property has ocean views - but the ocean is very far in the distance.

There are a few restaurants relatively close - La Hacienda, Mono Azul, Mymositos, Mimos, Bambu Jam and a few more. But as previously mentioned, the area is not that conducive to walking since there are no sidewalks most of the way, the road is winding and there can be a fair amount of traffic.

The hacienda and Bambu Jam both have great entertainment on various nights of the week.

The property is quite spread out - but they have golf carts to take you to the entrance. Once there, you are on the main road - so you can use the public bus to get around or take taxis..

Hope this puts it in perspective a bit.

raquel

usa
7. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

thanks again! one more question. my wife and i enjoy hotels that have a lot of 'action'. like restaurants, lobby bar and are busy.

are any of the hotels in MA larger hotels or are they all small boutiques?

thanks

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
8. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

There are so many hotels, much depends on your budget. I agree with most of the other posters that the better hotels and restaurants are not down at the park/beach area, but just a few minutes short of it. You mention Gaia which is a nice hotel with good service, but the layout is kind of wierd, you have to ride a golf cart any time you want to go anywhere and the pool is small with wierd access. If you don't mind your ocean view Way in the distance, then the views are nice. They do have a shuttle to the beach though. If you can spend that kind of budget, you might want to consider Buena Vista Villas, Hotel Makanda or Arenas del Mar, all are really nice properties. Enjoy!

9. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, August 02, 2012
reviews: 18
10. Re: nice hotel near town in manuel antonio

We will be staying at Arenas del Mar next week...I suppose it will be similar in location and we will be taking golf carts to their beach area, etc.? We won't have a vehicle rented...so we will be relying on the resort and taxi's...any comments on Arenas del Mar (although we have already paid...so we will be there no matter what). It seems like a very nice place from reviews I have seen....we want to try some local places for dinner and not just eat at the hotel - anything close to Arenas del Mar for good dining options?