We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
reviews: 3
Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

I am considering to staying at Moana Lodge in Mal Pais for my fiance' and I's honeymoon in December. The hotel looks amazing and that is what is really attracting me. However, I am a little concerned about the amount of activities we can do. My fiance' and I are not surfers and I know that is the big draw. Are there any other excursions or fun activities to do in Mal Pais.

6 replies to this topic
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
1. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

The Mal Pais and Santa Teresa area is not just a surfing hot spot! There are loads of activities from snorkeling, horseback riding, hiking, birding, fishing, zip-lining, to SUPing, yoga, going for long walks on the beaches, exploring nearby Montezuma or just finding the closest hammock and getting into a good book.

Check out these sites for more activities:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.peninsuladenicoya.com

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

We were in Santa Teresa last December. The beach was amazing - warm water, rolling surf to play in, miles of beautiful sand, each sunset unique and stunning.

We did several activities (horseback riding, guided nature tour, fishing) through Sapoa Adventures - check out their Facebook page for info on the various nature, cultural and adventure tours - with lovely pictures. We also did the zip line canopy tour in Mal Pais - http://www.canopydelpacifico.com/ - it was fun and not too strenuous.

Consider a surf lesson or two - there are lots of great instructors and while it looks a little scary, even though I'm not a great swimmer, I felt very safe. Wish I had prepared more ahead of time, but glad I gave it a try.

Mal Pais / Santa Theresa is quite rural and the roads in this area (even the paved roads) are rough and windy so be prepared for a laid back, "get there when we get there" kind of vacation.

For a small village, the range of activities right in Mal Pais / Santa Theresa with a side trip to Montezuma and Capo Blanco Park could more than fill a week.

neworleans
reviews: 11
3. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

Can you tell me where you did your fishing and guided nature tour? Any contact info on your guides?

Texas
reviews: 1
4. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

I can't remember the name of the place but there were these gorgeous waterfalls tucked in from the main road in Montezuma so I would suggest going to the Montezuma area for a couple of nights if you can.

Also the last time I went to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa I did a snorkeling trip that took us by speedboat from Montezuma to another beach to snorkel and that was fun too.

Interlaken, New York
reviews: 4
5. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

Wondering what the weather is like in mid nov to end of nov in Mai Pais? How is the bug situation? Thinking of staying at the Villa Hermosa Thanks, Gina

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
6. Re: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais

Gina N:

The weather in mid-Nov to the end of Nov. in the area is a very nice time of the year! It is the end of the rainy season and you may get the odd bit of rain in the afternoon or a downpour in the evening, but mostly, it is sunny and beautiful. This is my favorite time because it is just before the dry season and everything is still lush and green. Starting December, the dust starts to fly and coat everything.

If you are a bug-magnet, bring your favorite bug repellant. You can purchase Off down here at the local stores if you don't want to carry it down with you. The bugs vary season to season, month to month. Villas Hermosa is a great choice! Enjoy your vacation in our beautiful corner of Costa Rica!

Reply to: Activities (non surfing) to do in Mal Pais
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted