We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 1
Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Hi, we are arriving in SJO on Jul 20 at 7 pm, spending the night and then probably renting a car to explore Carara Reserve, Jaco, Playa Hermosa and Manuel Antonio for a few days. Then we wanted to take the jet boat to Montezuma and drive up the coast to Tarmarindo with stops along the way for the next 8-9 days looking for good surf for expert body boarding.

- Is Manuel Antonio closed on Mondays?

- Is the boat trip from Jaco to Montezuma safe in the rainy season?

- is the drive from Montezuma up the coast to Tamarindo possible at this time or could it be very difficult even in a compact 4x4. How long would this take if you did it with no stops?

thanks in advance for any advice.

9 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 24
1. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

1. Manuel Antonio is closed on Mondays.

2. If you are driving, the boat from Jaco to Montezuma does not take cars.

3. Not possible to take the coastal route all the way to Tamarindo.

San Jose, California
2. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Thank you. Can you elaborate why it is not possible to take the coastal route? Is it flooded or is there no road that goes up the coast?

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Some more of the National Parks started closing on Tuesday a few years ago. Not sure if MA did. But call or check their site. Many tour books / web sites have been slow on updating this info. I was in Montezuma and was trying to find out if Cabo Blanco park was open on a holiday and the repeated response was that they are ONLY closed on Monday, but I KNEW they were also closed on Tuesday, so now I couldn't trust the holiday info! I can't find the "official site to check for you".

So you're going to return the car before taking the taxi boat to Montezuma from Jaco? I'm not sure what a "jet" boat is, so you won't have your car. I've heard if the taxi boat isn't safe (rough waters) they stick you in the van and drive you. But at that point , depending onyour car rental, you might be better off to drive it, especially if you are going to get another one.

The Montezuma to Tamarindo, is not an easy trip in non-rainy season (I wouldn't try in rainy), I've tried it in April and gave up and just went along the inner coast and I'm can be pretty daring in a rental. Even the inner coast of the peninsula (Naranjo to Nicoya) is pretty bad but I've done it in a tiny little car in late August (do not think it was a 4x4).

Gary

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
4. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

travelfever21: The coastal road is rough and you have to cross several rivers. During rainy season, it's not something I would do in a Hummer much less a small SUV. They are mostly impassable. Keep in mind that if you drive through a river, your rental car insurance can be voided.

If you are taking the water taxi from Jaco to Montezuma, where will you get a car to make the drive up to Tamarindo?

So....... Gary ........ sorry you did not believe me about Manuel Antonio - but it is closed on Mondays. I can give you the phone number at the National Park and you can call them and ask them if you like.

Denver, CO
reviews: 54
5. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

We attempted the drive from Tamarindo and did not get far (i think Nosora). It was in March in a small SUV. It was an interesting drive and we quickly decided to take the inland road back to our lodging. It was interesting driving through rivers, but no way I would try it now and I am not sure we would have then if we had known the road conditions.

MA is just closed on Monday's as Hattie mentioned. Be sure to get a guide, well worth the money!

San Jose, California
6. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Thanks very much for the details. very helpful!

San Jose, California
7. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like we should just keep the car and drive there.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
8. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

You can take the ferry from punt arenas with your car and see some of the south nico penn.

Playa Hermosa...
9. Re: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma

Manuel Antonio is closed on mondays

Reply to: Boat from Jaco to Montezuma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted