We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaco or Tamarindo?

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 35
Jaco or Tamarindo?

Which one city would be best for active couple in their 60's? Near to San Jose airport?

4 replies to this topic
World
reviews: 50
1. Re: Jaco or Tamarindo?

Go to Tamarindo if you want a nice beach, but there is nothing to do. Go to Jaco if you are looking to explore and experience more of Costa Rica. The beach in Jaco is not as nice as Tamarindo's but there is so much more to do and it is closer the the San Jose airport! Contact Costa Rica Waterfall Tours if you are looking to do exciting excursions in the area, they treated us great!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 111
2. Re: Jaco or Tamarindo?

Jaco is much closer to San Jose then Tamarindo

Austin, Texas
3. Re: Jaco or Tamarindo?

Check out www.pacificvip.com .. There's great beaches around Tamarindo and lots to do in the area - offshore fishing, great scuba diving, and plenty of adventures. You can take a day trip from Tamarindo to La Fortuna and do an ultimate tour - canyoneering, zip lining, white water rafting and hit the hot springs. The trip includes all transfers and departs at 8am returning at 8pm. There are awesome adventure parks in the Tamarindo area and the beaches and surfing are 10x better. The General Manager of Pacific VIP will take great care of you. Here's the plus of going to Tamarindo - LOW humidity average of 35% compared to Jaco 85%+. You can fly into Liberia and it's only 45 minutes to Tamarindo. They have plenty of bars and a couple of night clubs in Tamarindo. Great food too! There are a couple beach clubs with awesome food. I travel to Costa Rica several times a year and Tamarindo has become my favorite. It's a lot safer and and you can be out on the beach at night. Last time I was there we have an all night beach parity with a bon fire. Try doing that in Jaco......

Edited: 7:51 pm, June 14, 2013
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
4. Re: Jaco or Tamarindo?

Nothing to do in Tamarindo...are you kidding? There is surfing, horseback riding, kayaking, canopy tours, ATV tours, fishing, snorkeling and diving...many day trips! I think the beach is much nicer than Jaco. But with all that being said, Jaco is less than 2 hours from SJO and Tamarindo is more like 6 hours!

Reply to: Jaco or Tamarindo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted