We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ct.
reviews: 17
Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Our family is planning on first trip to CR in Nov - parents and yound 20ish adults.We have narrowed down two areas - where we will rent a house. My husband has been researching these areas and hear from a local that Jaco is not very desirable. We were warned not to leave our belongings on the back of chairs or on the towels or chairs at the beach because they will be stolen. House must be locked and alarmed at all times. Be careful with wallet in your back pockets??Not safe for use taxi alone or group of two?? Now he does not want to consider this area. Is this true or is this the case for all of CR? Is the Flamingo area a better and safer area ? Please gibe your suggestions and advise.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

I think Flamingo is a lot better for families...Jaco is a party place and playground for some not very young visitors looking for other kind of fun...

Of course also common sense around Flamingo...but also you guys can visit some great beaches like...Potrero...La Penca...Conchal...Brasilito...Playa Grande...Tamarindo...nice for all kind of family activities ..

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
2. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Everything that your husband was told about Jaco can be also said about Flamingo, so I wouldn't use that as your reason to not go to Jaco. Same safety precautions are needed for Flamingo, except the taxi part. You shouldn't have any problems with taxis if you use marked taxis. I agree that Flamingo is a great place for families and it is a beautiful area of Costa Rica.

I just returned from Jaco yesterday. It just gets better and better. They are really turning Jaco into a nice town. Of course there are certain places and times of day that aren't family friendly in Jaco but the same is true for Flamingo. IMO south end of Jaco is the best area for families if you are looking for a house or condo in Jaco.

You really just need to decide what part of Costa Rica you want to see.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
3. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

There are so many beautiful beaches in Costa Rica - maybe you consider neither of the two and explore other options: Samara perhaps, Santa Teresa or around Montezuma, Cahuita.....Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Playa Hermosa...
4. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Flamingo is no safer than Jaco. I have lived in Jaco for 6 years never been robbed or mugged, or pick pocketed, and no problems with taxis, as long as you use real taxis, and don't go hop in some unmarked pirate taxi.

I don't have an alarm on my home and never been broken into

anywhere you travel in CR, or anywhere in the world, use common sense.

World
reviews: 52
5. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Anywhere you go in the world has certain dangerous, and Jaco is no different than any other tourist town. I felt very safe in Jaco. It is all about common sense; if you have some, then nothing will happen to you and your family!

Flamingo would be good if all you want to do is relax on the beach. Jaco would be good if you want to have some adventure during your vacation. Jaco is centrally located to all activities on the Pacific Coast.

Ct.
reviews: 17
6. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Thank you all for your insight - we just wanted to feel somewhat secure in our decision.......................................

Denver, CO
reviews: 57
7. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

I agree with everyone else on safety. We were up in Flamingo in March and my only complaint was that we went for almost two days without seeing a local. The area is has so many North Americans that I did not feel like I was away from home.

We have been going down to Jaco for about 4 years and the only issue we have ever had is my husbands flip flops going missing. Now he will claim they were stolen, but I think he most likely just misplaced them!

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

Flamingo has a much nicer beach than Jaco. jaco has many more resturants and things to do but you can enjoy either area just take the safety precautions you would take anywhere in the world and you should be fine.

9. Re: Need Advise- Jaco or Playa Flamingo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 21, 2013