We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musicians in Jaco

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
Musicians in Jaco

Hi Everyone,

I'll be visiting Costa Rica for the first time from Sep 1 thru 8 of this year, along with my wife, my inlaws and brother in law.

We usually take a trip to Mexico around this time and love spending time listening to musicians, be it mariachis in jalisco or string trios in cancun.

Wondering what the music scene is like around Jaco. Are there laid back little bars where musicans bar hop playing for patrons at different venues? What type of music is played? Any traditional Costa Rican songs that I should request?

Look forward to hearing your responses and look forward to exploring this beautiful country!

Playa Hermosa...
1. Re: Musicians in Jaco

there are a few mariachis that stroll around in the center of town from restaurant to restaurant

Jaco, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
2. Re: Musicians in Jaco

I know a gentleman that repairs guitars out of his home here, I know he plays in a band from time to time. Will ask him & get back to you...

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Musicians in Jaco

Thanks for the replies you all!

My father-in-law's birthday falls during the days we will be there and we were considering having musicians serenade the birthday boy at the rental house we will be staying at.

We wanted to know where the musicians hang out so that we know where to go and hire them for our private party...Looking forward to this!

Jaco, Costa Rica
4. Re: Musicians in Jaco

Don't believe a word that guitar repairing guy tells you. :)

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
5. Re: Musicians in Jaco

There are lots of live music in Jaco. Backyard has a few nights with live music and so does Tabacon. We have had a live band come back to our place to play for us in the past.

Houston, Texas
6. Re: Musicians in Jaco

Mrolfes,

Thanks for your reply. You have done exactly what I want to do, which is bring one of the bands to play for us at our rental house. Can you please give me an estimate of what it has cost to hire the band to play these side gigs? How many people in the group, what type of music did they play etc?

Thanks Again!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
7. Re: Musicians in Jaco

It depends on the group and how many they have and probably how badly they need the money at the time. I would say to expect around $60 to $100 an hour. Or you might find a great group of surfers who just want a good meal. There is live music all over the place. Listen to them and if you like them ask them if they would be interested. If you want a group with a drummer expect to pay more. Those things aren't easy to truck around.

Edmonton, Alberta...
8. Re: Musicians in Jaco

Hi, I am coming to Jaco for Christmas, usually I travel with my acoustic, but I'm hoping to find one in Jaco preferable used and unique, I would also like to know the name of this luthier. Thanks JD

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Musicians in Jaco

Maybe good idea to ask at the front desk of your hotel...they for sure will know somebody...

roadadv isor

Edited: 6:04 pm, August 01, 2012
10. Re: Musicians in Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, August 20, 2013