We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus travel in Jaco area

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach...
bus travel in Jaco area

To follow up on my previous post -

my son and three 18 year-old friends are worried about taking a bus between Jaco and Dominical because they've heard stories about surfboards being swiped off the bus.

Any advice? How long a bus ride would this be? Does Interbus travel between the two locations?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: bus travel in Jaco area

Its an 1.5 hours (67km) to Quepos and another 2 hours (57km) to Dominical by public bus. Interbus does not travel to/from Dominical. I've travelled that route by bus though not with a surfboard. I haven't heard about boardds being swiped, but then I'm not heavily into that community either. There may have been some boards that were swiped but there are also many surfers who travel that route without any problems.

My advice to your son and his friends is the same as it would be for anyone taking the bus. Pay attention to what is going on around you and it would be pretty hard to miss someone walking away with something as large as a surfboard. And of course it would be completely impossible while the bus is in motion. The only real risk occurs before the bus starts out, whereever it stops along the way and when you get out at the final destination. With 4 guys in the group it should be simple enough for one of them to hang behind while the others get aboard the bus and secure all their seats. Then he could either observe the boards getting buried with other luggage or see the driver or his assistant close and lock the luggage compartment shortly before the bus takes off. Often if the bus is not that full, they'll let people put their luggage in the back of the bus where they can sit with it or at least keep an eye on it. (However, I'm not sure if that applies to something as large as a surfboard). En route, there are very few if any stops where they would actually open the luggage compartment and if they do, they will know it if they just look out the window on the right side of the bus and observe what's going on. Finally, at the end of the trip, at least one of them should not dawdle getting off the bus and should disembark quickly anough to observe the driver opening the hatch and unloading all the gear. Basically, IMHO, this is not really something I think they need to worry that much about.

2. Re: bus travel in Jaco area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, August 31, 2009