We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bottled water

Gresham, Oregon
reviews: 3
bottled water

Which ones when buying at market are good ones. Always wondering which ones filled with hose not filtered. Not wanting to get sick.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: bottled water

You will NOT find any water bottles in supermarkets "filled with hose not filtered." I don't know where you have been where this is the practice, but you won't find this in Costa Rica.

The test: Check to make sure the bottle cap is either covered with plastic or sealed.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
2. Re: bottled water

Tap water in Costa Rica is treated (chlorinated, etc.) and safe to drink. Bring your nalgene bottle and fill it up wherever you are. I'd be more worried about mosquito bites than water quality.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
3. Re: bottled water

Check the bottles and you can see which are purified and which are spring water, but all the bottled water is safe to drink as is the tap water, as Hattie and Sodomojo have pointed out.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
4. Re: bottled water

tap water is perfectly fine in cr, but if you have to have bottled water i recommend crystal.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
5. Re: bottled water

Buy your first bottle of water in supermercado (Crystal for example) then fill it up from tap. Save the planet and your budget.

Texas
reviews: 66
6. Re: bottled water

Sorry to dispute that, some of us cannot take the tap water (I cannot not even at home, I have a filter). By all means buy the bottled water not a big expense to enjoy a perfect trip.

Costa Rica
7. Re: bottled water

If you drink ONLY bottled water at home, you can continue to drink ONLY bottled water here. But you might try drinking the tap water before you go to the expense (and trash) of drinking ONLY bottled water.

If you feel that you need to drink ONLY bottled water and you have a rental car, you can buy a 6-liter bottle and just keep refilling a smaller container for daily use, thus saving some money and saving all those many many many many small bottles that you would use and then throw away.

On the other hand..... the water in Costa Rica might be better than what you are used to at home, ahvolare! (wink....)

Another option is to bring a small filter that you would use on a camping trip.

Edited: 5:45 pm, July 05, 2013
Texas
8. Re: bottled water

Actually I buy the larger glass bottles which I take back to grocery (yes, by car) when empty and get another. I use a smaller bottle (reusable) and refill when I leave for errands, walks, etc., not the type you throw away that stores sell, I have some I always travel with, therefore, I am not adding to the unwanted plastic trash, which incidentally the beach in PV is always littered with them. I do my bit by picking them and other trash up.

So Hattie, I am helping keep your country clean, something everyone should consider doing....tourists & residents alike :)

Costa Rica
9. Re: bottled water

Large glass refillable bottles are not available everywhere in Costa Rica. But the 6-liter plastic bottles are. So it kind of depends on where you are. Still...... the little camping water filters work well.

Thanks for taking such good care of our country, ahvolare.

Texas
10. Re: bottled water

Hattie and others.. back on the water filter subject. You suggested a small camping water filter I looked on internet there are so many advertised. Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a small filter that does not take up too much luggage space and works. Yesterday I looked at a couple hardware stores could not find anything there, plan to go check at a sporting goods store, before traveling. Thanks.