We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Fresno, California
Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Hello

We are 2 students that are going to be studying abroad from May 17, 2013 to June 26, 2013 then we are staying an additional 2 weeks. We are first timers in Cost Rica and we are searching for any advice on what to do or where to go in those 2 weeks. We are searching for nice and cheap hotels near the area and good places to eat. I'm searching more of the relax social drinking crowds and my friend is searching more of the outdoors such as hiking and stuff in that nature. Any information is greatly appreciated thanks.

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
1. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Hola!

First of all, you have to get out of Puntarenas for your two free weeks.

One place I love and that I go to for vacation is down in the mountains of Dominical; http://www.bellavistalodge.com/

There you can do some social drinking and hiking, horseback riding, surfing, etc. and it's not real pricey. Since you are coming during low season (also referred to as rainy season) the waterfall that you ride and hike to will be flowing nice!! And the prices will be lower.

If you come up north to where I am, in Playa del Coco, Guanacaste, there are hostels and lower priced places to stay. In this area you can do social drinking, scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, sailing, fishing and take short day trips to Rincon de la Vieja for hiking, horseback riding, mud baths, hot springs and to Palo Verde forest for a boat river tour or go to Llano de Cortez waterfall.....

tons to do all over the country.....you should browse around these forums and see what suits you the best!

Fresno, California
2. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Wow that sounds awesome. Thats exactly what were looking for. Are you also a student right now. Ok so during our time is the rainy season what kind of cloths should we take. I just need as much info as possible

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
3. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Cool!

No, I'm not a student, I'm working here and living the Pura Vida!

Bring clothes that dry quickly, bring binoculars, camera, waterproof camera or housing or bag for the camera, umbrella, hat(s) boots, sandals.........and keep in mind that if you forget anything you can most likely get it here in this country.

Bring a pair of jeans and light weight pants as well as shorts/trunks t-shirts and long sleeve t-shirt, rain jacket or poncho. Expect more hot humid sunshine than rain, but you will get rain.

Fresno, California
4. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Thank you. Whats the average hotel price or hostel prices outside Puntarenas. Like I mentioned before were just lookng for a deceant place to stay nothing fancy

Bx
reviews: 18
5. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Puntarenas City can be more expensive than most of Costa Rica. It is the closest beach town to The Central Valley and used as the quickest weekend getaway for its residents. If its not a weekend you can get a cabina (cheap no frills rooms for $30 - 40 a night.

It is not the nicest of towns, imagine Newark on the Pacific. I will absolutely recommend the Pizza Restaurant on the main beach Road. Matalpo's, I think is the name. It has the best pizza in Costa Rica that I have tried.

Fresno, California
6. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Thank you for your info if there is anything else that you can think of let me know

Fresno, California
7. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

I have another question. To study abroad in Costa Rica Puntarenas its almost $4,000 and I'm just taking electives which really don't help me or hurt me towards my career and I'm just taking this trip to travel and enjoy myself. I was just wondering if it will be better for to just travel and stay in hostels or hotels the 8 weeks I sure $4,000 should be enough right?

Twillingate, Canada
reviews: 24
8. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

When renting a car DO NOT RENT FROM ADOBE RENT A CAR!!!Our experience with Adobe was horrendous. From start to finish they tried to bamboozle and fleece us. We paid the mandatory insurance but declined the CDW as we were already covered through our credit card. Brought booklet to show coverage but this was not satisfactory to them, though they kept the booklet after I asked for it back. Was going to pay the extra $70 just to get out of there but then realized they had rental dates wrong and it was now an extra $700. I had to call credit card company to email letter. Was not permitted to leave until form letter was received. It took 3 hours to get out of their offices. Then told to get to Jaco from San Jose to take Route 1. Four hours later we finally reached our destination. Should have been sent on Hwy 27 which takes an hour. Now it's time to leave and we are charged $108 for an imaginary dent by the bottom of the passenger door. Could not see dent, Took pictures ourselves and still could not see dent. Now back home starting a claim to be reimbursed and realize I needed the booklet they took. I would have known that I should have received many forms with details of dent with their pictures etc. All we received was a credit card bill for the $108 and the form we signed the first day. Oh yes and then there was the $8.00 fee for the gas. We had just filled up at the gas station and drove 0.25 of a mile to the rental office and that seemed to make the gas gauge go down a notch to the tune of lets milk them just a wee bit more for declining our insurance. DO NOT RENT FROM ADOBE RENT A CAR unless you like bureaucratic bull and a very large pain in your keester.

Bx
reviews: 18
9. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

Rental car issues aside, 4 weeks at $4000 is $142 a day.

I can travel around on buses, eat in restaurants, and stay in 3 star hotels for less than $142 a day. Maybe my tastes are not as refined and expensive as yours, but if you spend $200 on Tuesday, then try to spend only only $100 on Wednesday and Thursday.

10. Re: Advice first time in Costa Rica, Puntarenas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, March 10, 2014