We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba, Canada
reviews: 19
Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

I have conducted a search on this forum about which of the above lodges to pick for a two night stay during the first week of February 2014 buy there have been no recent postings.

Two adults are planning on booking a tour coordinated through Gecko Trail Adventures that includes a 2 night stay in Tortuguero. After reading information about all accomodations available, we've reduced our accomodation options to one of the four lodges mentioned above. The costs applicable to each appear to be very close. The comments on Trip Advisor applicable to each lodge seem quite similar. So, we need your help in deciding which of the four lodges we should chose and why. Perhaps one has a much better location than the other three (for example being closer to the village which may or may not be a benefit). Perhaps rating each lodge 1 through 4 might be helpful (where 1 is the best of the 4). Thanks.

Irvine, California
reviews: 74
1. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Stay at Pachira Lodge. Its got great reviews. By the way, why are you using a tour company to book this tour to Tortuguero? You can call Pachira Lodge or any other Lodge you may prefer over there and they will book the accomodations+Transportation for you. You really dont need a middle-man (Gecko). My experience with the Sales/booking at Pachira Lodge has been great. They have been very helpful and always answered every question I had relating to number of guests for my trip, the tours and other info. Hope this saves you some $$$.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Totally agree with Aero E...WHY your are dealing with a tour company..???..they are not necessary at all to book any lodge in Tortuguero...they love that since they are making at least 25% commision with your booking...deal direct with the lodge...and ask for some discount...

By the way Mawamba offer one of the best locations...good food...simple but good!

roadadisor

Manitoba, Canada
3. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Thanks for your suggestions. Perhaps mistakenly, I thought because I am planning on travelling without a car and going from Puero Viejo to Tortuguero and then on to Selva Verde Lodge for two nights and then on to San Jose that I would need the assistance of a coordinator like Gecko Trails. The websites for the lodges show packages from San Jose and back but not from Puerto Viejo to San Jose. Sounds like you are suggesting that I can make these arrangements with the individual lodges and save some money so I'll contact the lodges. How is Gecko paid for their services (are they paid directly by the lodges and transportation companies they use or do they add on their own additional fee)?

Comox, Canada
reviews: 189
4. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

I am going in late January 2014 and going from a San Jose hotel pick up by Pachira on a 2 night 3 day option. I am volunteering afterwards so thought this was a nice intro. Pachira answer emails very very promptly

Manitoba, Canada
5. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Thanks to those who responded to my original inquiries.

After considering the different lodges in Tortuguero, we have decided to stay at Mawamba Lodge for two nights. As suggested by some, I did contact the two lodges and transportation companies directly to see what they would charge for accommodaton and transportation. Also as some suggested, I asked about a discount in their advertised price if I dealt directly with them and not with a travel coordinator, however, no discounts were offered. I concluded it was going to be no more expensive to have Gecko Trail Adventures make all the arrangments for accomodations and transportation. Also, after finalizing all our arrangements, we had to change all our reservations. Making one call to Gecko Trail made it a lot easier to get the changes processed than if I had to make all the contacts myself.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

hello Bluebomber

What you say is very true. Do it yrself works very well for some folks. Many, especially on this forum, wouldn't have it any other way. And more power to them. But a good reliable agent/agency on the ground here does a lot more than just make the bookings. They know the logistics and make sure they work seamlessly, and help you navigate and weed through the very often conflicting advice that massive crowd sourcing provides. Moreover, changes in plans, illnesses, and Presidential visits that cause road and airport closings are all stuff that it's nice to have handled by somebody else... I personally had a very busy few days thanks to Presidents Obama, Ortega, Funes, Chinchilla, et al...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

Good choice chossing Mawamba...and dealing drirectly with service providers...most tour opera<tors and travel agencies make about 30% commision...just ask for a discount based on a direct booking...who can give you better service than the travel providers...?

roadadv isor

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
8. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

I agree that Mawamba is a good choice. It's a nice walk from Mawamba to Tortuguero Village and the National Park and to the turtle beach area. It's much better to stay at a lodge that is not on the other side of the river/lagoon since you are very isolated and need a boat to go anywhere.

9. Re: Mawamba, Pachira, Evergreen or Aninga Lodges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 08, 2014