We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

Is it as bad I hear?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

I don't know what you have heard, but it is not "bad" at all. Please see my post in answer to your other post with this same question (Please don't post it again.......)

New York City, New...
2. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

My two questions are about two completely different trips. I don't understand your response.

Costa Rica
3. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

What is it about the van/boat trip that you have heard that makes you think it is so bad?

New York City, New...
4. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

have heard it is very long and very rough...is this true?

Costa Rica
5. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

"Very long" and "very rough" is kind of subjective.

There are three places to meet the boat for Tortuguero: Pavona, Cabo Blanco and Moin. Moin is used if you are coming from Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean coast. Cabo Blanco is used by the lodges in Tortuguero that offer "package deals." Pavona is used by those going from the Arenal area or independent travelers.

The trip from San Jose to Tortuguero is about 4 hours. The boat ride is the last (wonderful) hour - you will think you are in the Amazon! The last bit between Cariari and Pavona is a gravel road that can be a bit rough at times - depending on when maintenance has been done. That is the last 45 minutes to an hour. Otherwise, the roads are all paved and through some beautiful countryside.

For more information, check this very informative website: www.tortuguerovillage.com

Edited: 6:28 pm, March 12, 2013
New York City, New...
6. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

Thank you for all the great information. I very much appreciate it!

Yukon
reviews: 32
7. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

We stayed at Manatus in September 2012. The trip in was not bad at all. Most of the road is paved. We met the boat at Pavona going in and got dropped off at Cabo Blanco on the way out. There was one rough gravel section on the way out, but it wasn't terrible! I've driven on gravel roads that bad and worse in Canada! The bus and boat were both quite new, comfortable and well maintained.

Manatus is a lovely lodge and Tortuguero is so amazing that it would be worth a horrendous trip to get there!

8. Re: How is the van/boat trip from San Jose to Manatus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 17, 2014