We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
reviews: 5
Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

This August, a friend and I would like to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita, but I am having trouble sifting through all the transportation options, and we have limited time. We will be in San Jose on 8/7 will probably have to be home by 8/12. We would like to overnight for at least one night in Tortuguero before continuing to Cahuita for a visit to the Sloth sanctuary and some snorkeling. We have a limited budget, so I'd like to find a route that minimizes travel time but doesn't cost a fortune. We are more likely to stay at one of the smaller Tortuguero hotels rather than a lodge, unless the benefits would outweigh the cost difference. The same is true in Cahuita - we are not looking for luxury.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thank you in advance!

Irvine, California
reviews: 87
1. Re: Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

Thats a pretty short trip. And one day in Tortuguero isnt worth it because it is a 5 hour drive + boat ride to get to Tortuguero from San Jose. I would recommend at least 2 nights in Tortuguero. The drive+boat ride is budget friendly and is included in the cost when you book a lodge in Tortuguero. Not sure about other smaller places. FYI, not all lodges are expensive. Shop around. If you want to save on travel time, fly into Tortuguero via Nature Air. Yes its an additional cost, but you get there in 25 minutes vs 5 hours. The choice is yours..... I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions that will help you plan. Good Luck!

guanacaste
reviews: 36
2. Re: Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

2 nights in Tortuguero is the minimum.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

I agree - 2 nights in Tortuguero is minimum.

Here is a great website that features lodging that is NOT packaged. www.tortuguerovillage.com It also has clear directions on the various ways to get to Tortuguero.

With this short amount of time, be sure that your flight arrives early enough to get to Tortuguero the same day. Otherwise, you will need to spend your first night somewhere near the airport and start the next morning. You should also try to get your return flight as late as possible or otherwise you will need to spend your last night near the airport.

This might be helpful: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and travel times.

4. Re: Best plan to visit Tortuguero and Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 14, 2014