We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for Costa Rica

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
reviews: 6
Vaccinations for Costa Rica

Can anyone help please ?

We are traveling to Costa Rica in June 2013 . We will be starting in tortuguero and ending in tamarindo . We are mainly going to see the wildlife so will be doing a lot of guided tours through the national parks and rainforests . Will we need the rabies vaccinations ? And malaria tablets ?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

If you like rabbies will be good to have it at any country...MAlaria tablets some times the reaction is worse thatn the prevention..

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

No, you don't need the rabies vaccination.

No you don't need malaria tablets. There were less than 20 cases of malaria last year out of a population of 4 million. The anti-malarials would be worse than your chances of getting malaria.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 41
3. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

Agree with Hattie, don't need either. I have lived here 15 years and have never had anything (knocking on wood profusely).

The only thing anyone traveling or living here should be concerned about is Dengue fever. This is spread by a nasty little daytime biting mosquito with striped legs. No shots, no pills, only defense is a good bug spray.

Aside from that, hepatitis shots are good in general traveling anywhere, and of course a good old fashioned Tetanus shot can't hurt (well, just a bit...)

Bx
reviews: 18
4. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

If you are traveling up from Colombia, you can be denied entry into Costa Rica if you do not have a yellow fever vaccine. I know people who lost their plane ticket purchase, and got stuck in Bogata or Medellin when trying to return to Costa Rica.

They were returned to Colombia upon attempted entry at imigracion, put back on a return flight, had to get a vaccine, and then wait the week required for the vaccine to take effect, before they were allowed to return to their homes in Costa Rica. Natural born Costa Ricans seem to have been exempt form this process. It is enforced selectively and subjectively like many laws of the Republic.

I do not know if this this is still enforced or if it applies to other South American countries as well.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
5. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

If you are flying into Costa Rica from any South American country, you should check to see if there is yellow fever CURRENTLY in that country. You would need a vaccination if you are flying into Costa Rica from a country that has a yellow fever warning IN COSTA RICA. Note that you will need to get your yellow fever vaccination 10 days ahead of your flight.

When I flew into Costa Rica from Colombia, there was no yellow fever there and no yellow fever warning and I did not have a problem. I did visit Argentina where there is a yellow fever warning in one small part of the country - but - I did not visit that location. And upon arrival, no one asked me about where I went in Argentina or even mentioned yellow fever vaccination.

However, Sally S, the OP, is flying into Costa Rica from Northampton, which, the last time I looked, is not in South America. So really, all the warnings and angst about flying in from Colombia don't belong in this thread.

6. Re: Vaccinations for Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2014