We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tortuguero package

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
tortuguero package

im traveling by myself and want to take the tortugero package. is it worth taking the 2 night package at this time or only the one. i want the package to take me from san jose and looking for a deal that includes more activities.

any recomendation?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 34
1. Re: tortuguero package

Yes it is worth it because of the distance. You will spend the morning of the first day and most of the third day travelling so you will appreciate one full day enjoying Tortuguero

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: tortuguero package

You don't have to take a package to Tortuguero unless you just want to. You can arrange your own visit. www.tortuguerovillage.com will give you a choice of lodging as well as transportation options. Your lodging can arrange any sort of activity you want to do.

But yes, two nights is best.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
3. Re: tortuguero package

At least one full day i.e. two nights for Tortuguero.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 52
4. Re: tortuguero package

Eagle - since you inquired about package tours, check out Modesto and Fran Watson who run Riverboat Francesca. www.tortuguerocanals.com

They will pick up at a few San Jose hotels or arrange a meeting point, transport you to the dock in Moin to meet their boat (with breakfast along the way) and provide lodging with Laguna Lodge. All your wildlife tours in the canals and national park are with them along with transportation back to SJ.

They are excellent guides and I'm going with them for the third time next month. I would definitely do 3 days/2 nights since travel time is lengthy.

Irvine, California
reviews: 75
5. Re: tortuguero package

Go for two nights, looks like there are a bunch of things to go there like going to the village, Tortuguero rain forest, kayaking, turtle nesting, etc.... cant do all that and much more in one day. I am going to Tortuguero in August. Staying at Pachira Lodge. They provide transportation to/from San Jose. But the trip is about 5 hours from what I've heard. 3 hours drive + 2 hours by boat to get there. Travel arrangements are included in your package.

If you want to save on travel time you can fly into Tortuguero, you can do that from Pavas and it takes 25 minutes (Nature Air). You will have to pay for the flight yourself as its not part of the package.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
6. Re: tortuguero package

We stayed two nights, and that was perfect for us to tour the canals, see wildlife, do a night tour to see turtles, and to relax and enjoy swimming at the pool.

Tortuguero, Costa...
7. Re: tortuguero package

As Hattie recommended, I prefer the alternatives to the package deals. The village offers you more freedom of choice in your schedule, your meals, etc. Also, if you're heading anywhere other than back to San José after Tortuguero, they charge you the same rate for transportation, but will only take you as far as Siquirres or Guápiles.

Contrary to what you might think, it can actually save you money to not buy the package deal. If you're travelling alone, you'll pay about $350 with a low-end package at the big hotels. By my calculations, you could pay about the same staying at one of the two best B&Bs in town, go on all the same tours, rent a kayak (which is usually free at the lodges) and even afford to fly in your first day.

Public transportation to La Pavona is fairly easy to manage, though you will have to switch busses in Cariari and switch to the boat at La Pavona. There is no longer any need to walk to the other terminal in Cariari, the Pavona bus pulls right alongside the bus from San José. The package deals usually take you through Caño Blanco, which easily adds 1-2 hours to the journey compared to public transportation. They will also stop for breakfast along the way.

If you are heading towards the Southern Caribbean after Tortuguero, you can go by boat to Moín, then catch a bus, taxi or shuttle to your next destination.

I'm a bit shocked to learn that Riverboat Francesca docks in Moín. From San José, that makes the trip to Tortuguero about an 8 hour journey, give or take. With public transportation through La Pavona it's about 5 hours. With a taxi or rented car, you can shave about 1-2 hours off that time. With the package deals through Caño Blanco, including the half hour for breakfast, it's about 7 hours.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 34
8. Re: tortuguero package

WildGinger, no offence but of course you “prefer the alternatives to the package deals” Folks in packages aren’t usually eating in your restaurant! This is a bit of a biased opinion. I am not saying either is “better”. It depends on the individual’s wants and needs. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 52
9. Re: tortuguero package

Wild Ginger - if you look at the OP, it specifically asked about package tours since he/she is traveling alone. This may be a non-Spanish speaker who is not interested in juggling bus schedules, taxi, boats, etc.

8 hours to get to Tortuguero with Riverboat Francesca - no way! They have picked me up in San Jose by 6:00 am and we are at Laguna Lodge by 1 pm - 1:30 for a late lunch. This includes a stop along the way for breakfast and many stops for wildlife viewing along the river.

There are certainly plenty of options for those who want to travel independently and those who want the convenience of a package with a well-known tourist company and excellent guides.

10. Re: tortuguero package

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2014