We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona...
Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Is it possible to drive to Tortuguero from La /Fortuna? If so, what is the best route and how long should that take?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

It is posible to drive to La Pavona or Caño Blanco to take a boat to go to Tortuguero...is not road to get to Tortuguero only by boat...or plane..

From La Fortuna...drive by Aguas Zarcas to Sarapiqui to road 32 to Guapiles...take the road to La Pavona...public boats will take you to Tortuguero abot $ 3.00 per person..each way,...about 2.5 hours to 3 hours to La Pavona...

Or drive to Siquirres and drive to Caño Balnco..and take the bot to Tortuguero...about 3 hours ride from La Fortuna to Caño Blanco

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
2. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

I haven't taken the boat from Cano Blanco but at Pavona, there is covered, secure parking for a fee.

There are no cars in Tortuguero; no roads, no sidewalks. You can only get there by boat or by air. I saw two motorbikes when I was there - one for the guy collecting the trash and one for the police. That's it.

Tortuguero, Costa...
3. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Caño Blanco is not a public transportation option. Only private boats and the lodges operate from here. It doesn't make much sense to go this route either, as it adds 2-3 hours to your journey.

Perhaps RoadAdvisor could tell you the best route from La Fortuna to La Pavona? He seems to know the roads quite well!

Costa Rica
4. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Actually, WildGinger, roadadvisor DID give detailed directions in the post just above yours.

And - if you want to go to Cano Blanco, you could do it and take a private boat. But it really doesn't make much sense unless you are traveling to the southern Caribbean after Tortuguero.

Stephanie: Unless you are traveling to the southern Caribbean coast after your Tortuguero visit, probably the best thing to do is to take the shuttle. No worries about directions or parking.

Edited: 11:16 am, January 19, 2013
Tortuguero, Costa...
5. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

How funny. I guess my coffee hadn't kicked in yet, because I could have sworn that post just said you can't drive to Tortuguero! :)

And I hadn't thought about Caño Blanco if you're heading South after Tortuguero, but I think it might even be faster to go through La Pavona if you have a rental car, and it's definitely a lot cheaper. Private boats from Caño Blanco could easily cost upwards of $150, one-way. Private boats to La Pavona run about $100, and it's about half the distance.

Costa Rica
6. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Well, it's certainly more feasible to go to Pavones but your post made it seem like it was impossible to go to Cano Blanco as an independent traveler so just wanted to clear that up.

Yes, roadadvisor did say you can't drive to Tortuguero - which you can't -- unless you are driving one of those handy dandy amphibian cars. The original poster asked about "driving to Tortuguero" so roadadvisor wanted to make sure they understood it's drive and then boat.

Tortuguero, Costa...
7. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

Yeah, I got it. That's why I answered with more detail. I see how you could have misunderstood my point about "private boats" to mean that there was no option for tourists, rather than my meaning that you would have to hire a private boat.

As for my comment about RoadAdvisor's reply, I meant that I had inadvertently skimmed over the part with the detailed driving directions. Whoops!

Also, I forgot to mention to Stephanie P that it's a good idea to get the GPS if you're driving to La Pavona. There are very few signs once you get past Guápiles, and I know Costa Ricans who have gotten lost trying to get here. Make sure you get detailed directions as well, just in case! It's pretty rural past Cariari so if you do take a wrong turn there won't be many people around to ask for directions.

Costa Rica
8. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

http://www.tortuguerovillage.com/driving.htm

9. Re: Directions from La Fortuna/Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 21, 2014