We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
reviews: 33
Guides

There is a listing of 26 "official tour guide" companies on the TortugueroVillage.com web site

How do we choose which one?

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Guides

I would just ask at your lodging. All the lodges or small hotels in Tortuguero work with one or more guides and they will provide one for you.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
2. Re: Guides

Exactly what I was going to say! I would definitely take a recommendation over guess work. A good guide makes such a difference to your tour. If you need someone English speaking, do specify this when inquiring.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Guides

Good answer Hattie,...most register guides are great guides...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:52 pm, January 19, 2013
Costa Rica
reviews: 23
5. Re: Guides

WildGinger: Your claims about the Guides Association are pretty drastic. Do you have anything to back this up? If you are new to Costa Rica, are you aware of the strict libel/slander laws?

If I were a tourist, I would not worry about the good/bad of the Guides Association. I would just ask at my lodging for them to arrange a guide and leave it up to to them to decide who would be the best person to do this. They each work with guides all the time and will be familiar with the situation.

Tortuguero, Costa...
6. Re: Guides

Hattie, I have removed my post, because you are right, that the tourists shouldn't have to worry about these things, just if the tour was satisfactory or not.

But I am not a newcomer to Costa Rica, and I wouldn't have written anything if I had not received numerous reports from several independent sources. I just get upset when people try to trick tourists into purchasing services.

I would agree that asking at the place of lodging is good advice and I'll recommend again that the guides that work with Casa Marbella are excellent, especially Roberto (and the owner Darryl, if he's in town!).

7. Re: Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 21, 2014