We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stratham, New...
Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

Would love to take my children there to see leatherbacks in April - does anyone know if that's possible?

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

The leatherbacks nest between March and July so entirely possible.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

Actually, I don't think folks in Tortuguero run leatherback tours. As far as I understand, the leatherbacks do nest in the park, but very far south from the village, and there aren't organized turtle tours for leatherbacks out of Tortuguero.

In fact, leatherback tours, still not common, are more often out of Cahuita and PV, with potential for sighting nesting turtles in the Cahuita NP and Gandoca-Manzanillo Reserve.

here's one organization specializing in a Leatherback tour on the Caribbean:

reefstorockies.com/destinations/…

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
3. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

I'm sure that if the leatherbacks are there, Steve could find a guide that would take them to see the turtles. Not an organized tour, really, just a guide.

When I went to see the turtles (not leatherbacks), I just went with a guide arranged by my lodging. There were 3 other people in my group.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
4. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

Gandoca definitely has organized tours but isn't the easier of places to get to. There are some tours running to the Puerto Vargas section of the Cahuita NP but I think the chances of seeing turtles is higher in Gandoca. Maybe someone else can help out with the Tortuguero turtles. If you can find a tour that fits in with your vacation plans, it is an absolutely amazing thing to see and I would highly recommend it. Well worth the waiting around at night on beaches getting bitten!

5. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, January 12, 2013
San Jose
reviews: 22
6. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

A Guide copule definitely take you, but remember the chances of seing one are limites. Now old are your children? Remember this would be a nitride activity and depending on children ages it might be tiring. But don't opt out of Tortugueo, April is a great month to be there and your children Will love the magical wildlife, scenery and nature. Definitely recommended

Calgary
7. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

I will ask around Tortuguero ....we are planning on spending some time relaxing in town today and I will talk with some guide friends and post back later.

Calgary
8. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

I talked with some local guides and they confirmed what has been posted already. No one new of a existed tour but there would be no problem finding a guide to take you out. As well you could find a leatherback on Tortuguero beaches but will have better odds by going farther south.

Tortuguero, Costa...
9. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

Guides will be happy to take you, and most of them will tell you you have a 60% chance of seeing turtles. The chances are more like 20%, and this tour involves walking the pitch-black beach until your guide spots a turtle, and waiting in the dark until she is at a point where your presence won't disturb her. There is a good chance that you will be walking for hours and not see anything.

If at all possible, I would recommend that you find a way to go to Gandoca if you really want to see leatherbacks. They have a volunteer program there, and I'm not sure how it works but you might be able to participate for a night or two there, in very basic accommodations.

I actually just found these cabinas (motel) that offer the leatherback tour:

http://www.gandocacabinas.com/index.php

I also agree that Tortuguero is completely worthwhile, even without nesting turtles, so don't miss out on "Costa Rica's Amazon."

10. Re: Torteguero in late April - will I see turtles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 21, 2014