We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus/Transport

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 1
Public bus/Transport

Finally, we have decided to pick up a rental car in Río Blanco Gas Station. Can someone points us a direction how to get there from Tortuguero.

We will take a public boat from Tortugerio in the early morning but still not sure about the boat schedule departure from Tortugerio yet. How much does it cost to get there by taxi? If it's too expensive, we would go there by public bus.

Any help are really appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Public bus/Transport

From La Pavona or Caño Blanco...the only way to get to Tortuguero is by boat...maybe somebody can help you about some water taxis...

Of course no buses no taxis sine is not a road to get to Tortuguero!

roadadvisor

England
2. Re: Public bus/Transport

Thanks roadadvisor.

I know we can take a public boat from Tortuguero to La Pavona after we finish our Tortuguerio trip.

But my question is how we get to the Río Blanco Gas Station from La Pavona? Is it easy to find this station as we are going to pick our rental car there?

Is there a direct bus to Rio Blanco Gas station or we have to go to Cariair , Guapiles and then bus stop near Río Blanco Gas Station?

What is the bus number or final destination?

How much does it cost from La Pavona to Río Blanco Gas Station by taxi. If it is too expensive, we will go for bus.

Edited: 7:27 pm, November 20, 2012
England
3. Re: Public bus/Transport

anyone help?

England
4. Re: Public bus/Transport

Nobody knows how to go from La Pavona to Rio Blanco Gas.

The problem is that I can't find it on google.map at all

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
5. Re: Public bus/Transport

Take the public bus from the dock to Guapiles. Doubt you will find any taxis waiting for the boat. If the bus continues on to San Jose you are in luck. If not take a bus to Guapiles. The gas station is roughly 6 km west of Guapiles: By TAXI from the Guapiles main bus terminal (about 5000 Colones/$10):

Stole these directions off the website for Casa Rio Blanco:

By CAR or BUS coming from Limon/Tortuegero:

Take highway 32 to San Jose, pass Guapiles at your right and just go straight on direction San Jose, you'll cross a few rivers (the last one before 'Rio Blanco' is the 'Rio Danta'), about 6 km after the Guapiles turn off you see a big green petrolstation at your right with the name: 'Servicecentro Rio Blanco' and a big 'Castrol' sign. 20 meters after that petrolstation you pass the bridge from the Rio Blanco (there is no 'Rio Blanco'sign).

Edited: 4:04 pm, November 21, 2012
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Public bus/Transport

how long will it take by public bus to get from san jose to tortuguero. is there a lot of wildlife to see there in january

Tortuguero, Costa...
7. Re: Public bus/Transport

Ok, I'm going to answer your questions in order. Sorry it's taken a while, but I haven't been on the forums lately!

1. You might ask the car rental company if they can bring the car to La Pavona. There is rental car service there, and I think it's Poas Rent a Car, which if I'm not mistaken is the same company that runs out of Rio Blanco.

2. If they won't, or it's too expensive, here are your options:

a. call ahead for a taxi to meet you in La Pavona. This is an expensive option, as just the trip to Cariari runs about $40, plus another $30 to get to Guápiles, plus a good amount more to get to Río Blanco. You can pick up more people in La Pavona if you don't mind sharing the cab, and they usually pay about $6 each to Cariari. Prices are negociable if you talk to the cab driver before you get in.

b. Take the public busses as far as you can, then get a cab to Río Blanco. From La Pavona, you pay $2 to get to Cariari. There are busses direct to San José that coordinate fairly well with the arrival of this bus. There are two terminals in Cariari, the Pavona bus arrives at one and the San José bus leaves from the other. Tell the bus driver you're going to San José and sit near the front, and he'll stop at an intersection close to the San José terminal. From that stop, it's about 200 meters to your right. From the other terminal, it's about 700 meters. The bus direct to San José costs about $4 I think, and they stop at a small terminal before going over the mountain. Get off at that terminal, and a taxi to Rio Blanco is much cheaper than from Guápiles. If the bus is full, they will only stop at that terminal. If it's not full, they will also stop at the very large main terminal in Guápiles, so make sure you don't get off there.

Contrary to crfran's directions, there is no bus from the dock to Guápiles. I wish it were that simple!

3. There is a direct bus to Cariari that leaves San José at 9am, you switch busses to get to La Pavona, and then catch the boat. You get to Tortuguero around 1pm or 2pm, depending upon how much water is in the river. Leaving Tortuguero, there are boats at 5:30am, 11:00am and 2:30pm. The busses coordinate with that schedule.

4. There is always a vast amount of wildlife in Tortuguero! In January, the focus is mostly on birds, as the turtles and their hatchlings are long gone. I've been seeing toucans regularly over the past few weeks, and many species of birds are nesting because the rainy season is also the fruiting season for many plants.

I hope this info hasn't come too late to be of use! Feel free to drop by Wild Ginger if you need more info, we don't mind giving out advice even if you aren't a customer!

8. Re: Public bus/Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 18, 2013