We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2D1N or 3D2N in Tortuguero

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 1
2D1N or 3D2N in Tortuguero

December is not a turtles season. Is it too long to spend 3 days 2 nights there? or just 1 night 2 days.

Rather than getting the all inclusive hotel package, is it possible that we can book our hotel, walk around on our own and join a canon tour during our stay?

But I think we still need to arrange the transport via a hotel or shuttel company.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
11. Re: 2D1N or 3D2N in Tortuguero

My favorite thing to do in Tortuguero is just to rent (or use since some lodging will let you use theirs) a canoe and hire a young man to accompany me. Even if he is not a trained guide, he can point out some wildlife and keep you from getting lost in the various canals. Then, we just paddle around for a couple of hours. Quiet and beautiful.

Just so you know, WildGinger, we have been putting out good information about Tortuguero in this forum for quite a while. Tourists who go there with no idea about it or with wrong information haven't come to this forum.

And - I would be interested to know why you would not recommend using the Tortuguero Guides Association? And how about a bit about yourself -- you live in Tortuguero?

As for seeing turtles hatching in December -- I was there the first week in October and the night I visited the beach, 25 females came ashore to lay their eggs. Since the incubation period is around 45 days, it is possible, as you say, to see some hatchlings, but I would think this would be a remote possibility and not something to count on. I did see hatchlings in the very early morning, walking down the beach.

As to walking the beach at night with a flashlight - I would not recommend it. The hatchlings are guided by the light of the horizon (which is why all the street lights are blacked out on the beach side) so if you use your flashlight, you could disorient them. You could use your flashlight if you have a red light which they can't see.

I tend to agree with roadadvisor on this one and always recommend local guides.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 33
12. Re: 2D1N or 3D2N in Tortuguero

marlySF regarding the statement "you are likely to see turtles, caimans, monkeys and many tropical birds...." I have found this to be 100% accurate but in December they would be referring to fresh water turtles in the canals. In regard to the hatchlings, - we walked the beach from town to Laguna Lodge just before the sun went down and did not see any hatchlings but you never know, and it was still interesting because we did see nests and broken shells etc. By the way we did try to stop at Wild Ginger before this walk for the advertised happy hour but they were closed so we went to the Budda Café instead. It was great - the food and drink as well as the atmosphere and views.

13. Re: 2D1N or 3D2N in Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 13, 2014