We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 11
2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

I will be in Costa rica for just 5 1/2 days in October.

My plan more or less is to hit up the Tortuguero canal tour, and then head on over to the Punto Uva area to just hang out and relax.

I am wondering if you guys would recommend doing the 2 or 3 day tours of Tortuguero based on this type of schedule.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
1. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Two days in Tortuguero would be enough, you can head to Punta Uva and enjoy some beach time, the beaches around Tortuguero are not safe for swimming.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

I would go with 3 days and 2 nights in Tortuguero to really enjoy the area, otherwise 2 days and one 1 night would be too rushed for my taste.

Edited: 5:50 pm, August 17, 2012
Tortuguero, Costa...
3. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

I agree with Mike. It's a fairly long journey just to get to Tortuguero, so you really want to be able to take all the tours possible. Only if you are arriving by air would I say that 2d1n would be OK. If you have to spend the first night in San José either way, definitely fly into Tortuguero. If you can make the 9am bus to Cariari from the Caribeños station the same day that you get in (but not the 6:15am flight from the Pavas airport), maybe it's best to do that.

Just make sure, whatever you do, don't miss the canal tour and the turtle tour. You should also be able to see hatchling turtles, but you shouldn't hire a guide for that. Whatever you do, don't dig up nests to "help" the babies hatch, don't "help" them get to the ocean, and don't pay anyone who does either of these things. Both actions are strictly prohibited by law, and are detrimental to the survival of the turtles.

If you want to see hatchlings, just hit the beach very early (~5am), walk along the water's edge, and look toward the vegetation. They hatch in groups, so you'll see up to 120 of them all running toward the water at the same time. It's best not to touch them, especially if you've been applying insect repellent, but if you do just make sure to put them back near the same spot. The journey to the ocean may be an important part of them remembering which beach to come back to when they nest!

Huntington Beach...
4. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Personally if you only have 5 and a half days and you are looking to really enjoy Tortuguero I would stay 3 days 2 nights. I personally have not been to Punto Uva but I have been to Tortuguero and I can vouch for how amazing it is. You need to take the time to enjoy the canals at different times in the day bc depending on whether it is morning, afternoon, evening or nighttime different animals and plants will be visable. Plus, I think in October you will be able to watch the turtles hatch from their eggs and head to the beach. Im not sure about that though.

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 11
5. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

I'll be arriving in San Jose Wednesday evening and flying back on Tuesday afternoon.

So what I was thinking is to rent a car early Thursday morning and head down.

and then to drive back on Tuesday morning.

San Jose
reviews: 22
6. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Arriving Wednesday night, overnight in San Jose, then head to Tortuguero for 2 nights and pick up your car afterwards on Saturdays, continue to Punta UVA sat and sun to return at your most convenience time to San Jose on Monday to flight out on Tuesday. I also agree that less than this time in Tortuguero is way too little.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Agree 2 nights 3 days...good enough..you will see a lot...

roadadvisor

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
8. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

Punta Uva is my favorite beach in Costa Rica, I rather spend as much time as possible there than anywhere else.

Cartago, Costa Rica
9. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

I agree with most posters 3 days and 2 nights is what you need to really enjoy Tortuguero. Have a great time in our beautiful country

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
10. Re: 2 or 3 days in Tortuguero?

one more for 3 days 2 nights

Cheers