We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 4
Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

I am trying to figure out how to get to Tortuguero from Arenal. We are thinking of staying at Tortuga Lodge. Costa Rica Expedition tours wants to charge me an extra $210 to pick us up at Arenal. Any suggestions on how to do this cheaper?

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
1. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Check out Exploradores Outdoors, IMHO best tour company for the Caribbean Zone.

https:/…tortuguero-tours.html

If you are interested they have a river rafting trip on the way to Tortuguero too.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
2. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

travel, I just wanted to say that we stayed at Tortuga Lodge, and it was wonderful - we had great private tours, and the food was delicious.

Would it be cheaper for you if you left from San Jose instead of Arenal - is that a possibility? Very few people go Arenal to Tortuguero so SJO to Tort. may be cheaper. If you did that, you could even fly. Sometimes you can get loco fares as low as $50.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Incredible how they have the nerve to charge $210.00 for somenthing that can be done with $150.00

You can stay in better places ...with same food...and tours for less money! I do not understand why pay more for the same...!

Just find somebody to drive you to Siquirres to meet the tour that is going to Tortuguero...that simple...$210.00 is a ripp off!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Toronto
4. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

I agree it is really expensive. Turtle Beach Lodge said they would charge me only $35 and the other tour company that was suggested to me charges $30.

Volcano we want to visit both places Tortuguero and Arenal. To save money we would have to go from San Jose to Tortuguero, back to San Jose and then to Arenal and back to San Jose before we fly to the Osa. I want to limit the amount of flying because my son is not a fan of small planes. He looked terrified when we went to the Osa last year. He calls them flying mini vans. It is also the green season. Flying in those planes in the rain doesn't thrill me either.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
5. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

roadadvisor, it sounds like you know someone who will do it for $150 - can you post the name of the driver or company?

travel, I understand the fear of the small planes. I think a lot of people have it. We've always felt very safe when we've done it. I wish the flights could go from place to place without going back to SJO. We actually did travel from Arenal to Tortuguero just like you want to do because we wanted to limit our time in San Jose. We used CRE for that portion, but we booked our own flight out on Sansa to save money, and they were fine with it.

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
6. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Hi Volcano girl!

Desafio charges $120 to pick you up from a drop off point after Tortuguero to Arenal.

Eagle Tours charges $40 per person for a shuttle from a pick up point. You just need to find out the times.

I have used both services and they are great, super reliable and bring you to your hotel in Arenal!

Ciao,

Marina K. Villatoro

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 13
7. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

traveljunkie -- I can vouch for Turtle Beach Lodge, it's a great place to stay. The location is perfect, in my opinion, as it's right on the beach backed by canals. You can take the kayaks out on your own right from there, which to me is worth extra and some lodges don't offer this. We saw tons of wildlife on our own and can go at your own pace. You can do the boat tours with a group (small like 12 or less) or arrange private tours.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
8. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Thanks, Marina - that's great to know. I would love to stay at Tortuga Lodge again, but I like to arrange my own transportation to save $.

Toronto
9. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Volcano how did you make your own travel arrangements? I thought they were included in the package. Tortuga Lodge doesn't seem to have their own web site, it looks like to me you have to book it through CRE, am I right?

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
10. Re: Arenal to Tortuguero Advice Needed

Hi Traveljunkie.

Tortuga Lodge is owned by Costa Rica Expeditions. The site you see is the right one.

I think what Volcano girl is talking about, is that transportation is included but not if you want to go to Arenal. That is separate. If you want to use their full package you'll have to return to San Jose and backtrack.

Hope this makes more sense,

Marina K. Villatoro