We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

march 6-10 companion for trips

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
march 6-10 companion for trips

Hi everybody,

just wanted to see if anybody available/needs a companion to go for some tours like Bocas or other? i will be in PV march 6-10 and would be glad to join some groups going on tours. Let me know :)

Cheers

Roman

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
1. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

I would suggest just going on tours, you will then meet the others anyway.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

Agree with Gecko...

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

Thank you for your reply ! I just heard that tour companies need a full bus to make a trip. i am pretty flexible which day to go. I would like to visit Bocas for 2 days, so maybe some groups are not full yet.

BTW, which company would you recommend to use? I heard about Geckotrail, good reviews. Just one thing i do not get: do they organize the whole trip for you, with accommodation on Bocas, trip to that famous starfish beach and stay with you till return to PV? so why on their website their is no price package then, saying will advise?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
reviews: 8
4. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

As far as I can see they offer a one day trip, personally I think your idea is better. You know, Puerto Viejo and Bocas del Toro are full of young people so it is really easy to find people wanting to do the same thing. You can for transport to Bocas use Gecko Trail or Caribe Shuttle. i don't believe tours depend on a bus full.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
5. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

Caribe Shuttle is the way to go to Bocas.

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

Thanks guys, i read a lot and decided not to go to panama. I have only 4 full days in pv and there is so much to see there ;) i am planning to visit jaguar rescue center anx cohuita park, see all beaches in pv. I am a nature lover and photographer. I wanted to ask you if it is safe to bring and take pictures in pv with big dslr camera? Which areas to avoid if i want to use my camera? Probably downtown PV?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
7. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

I have taken many photos with Nikon D90, it this qualifies as "big dslr camera". No worries there. Just use a nondescript backpack to stove away the photo when not in use. And do not ever leave it on a table or similar, neither the camera nor the backpack. And backup your photos every night. It is easy to buy a new (and better) camera yet it is impossible to duplicate the photos. Do have your camera with you all the time, even when biking around, as photo opportunities are plentiful.

There is nothing that could be described as "downtown PV". Puerto Viejo is a fairly small village, 10 min by 15 min, on foot. And, BTW, great decision to stay in PV all the time. Do not skip visiting Cahuita NP on your own, and Gandoca-Manzanillo NP with a guide. Safe trails and great light!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
8. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

Most of your nature shots would be South of Puerto Viejo. It should be safe to bring your camera with you, keep out site in back pack until ready to use. I would really recommend a guided tour of Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve, the local guides have a trained eye for spotting wildlife, plus the Reserve is a beautiful hike.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
9. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

In addition to Cubanon's great advice above- I recommend that you use an old, ratty backpack (or your daughter's with the unicorns.....) rather than a camera bag which screams "Expensive camera here!" And don't let it out of your sight.

Vancouver, Canada
10. Re: march 6-10 companion for trips

I have canon 5d, similar to nikon d90. so, small camel backpack northface would draw too much attention ? :) or should i put some unicorns on it ?:)) it is terrible i should take such precautions, although i will be most likely away from PV : in Cahuita and Manzanillo, Jaguar center-they should be fairly safe ?

BTW, thank you for the advice to visit Manzanillo. Great park! just one minor thing-somebody got robbed at gunpoint there i have just read, but it is probably they were alone there. I will definitely hire a guide.

Zelas, which lens did you use in those parks? i am still deciding which to take, just 2 probably, small in size, 135mm f2, and 35mm 1.4.