We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

Hi,

I'll be volunteering at the JRC for 2 weeks from 25th November and will have a free weekend in between. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good day trips or tours? I'd like to be able to see as much wildlife as possible.

Also, does anyone have any tips on getting to Puerto Viejo from San Jose? I was planning to spend my first night in San Jose the get the bus to Puerto Viejo the next day, but I heard its quite an unpredictable service. Do you think its better to get a shuttle?

Last question - any recommendations on reasonably priced but decent places to stay in San Jose that's not too far from the airport? My flight doesn't get in until quite late in the evening.

Many thanks!

Sloth Fiend.

11 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 3
1. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

The public bus is a very good, inexpensive option to get to PV and reliable. I would wait until you are here to decide where to go on your free week-end. First get the feel of what's what and get info from local people and see what the weather is doing, also Encar will be able to give information. Other regular posters will have better knowledge of places to stay near the airport.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
2. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

As Geckoes says, the public bus is very reliable. You can either catch the direct bus from Don Busco bus terminal or catch a bus from the much more pleasant Terminal Caribenos in Tibas and change in Limon - the bus terminal for Puerto Viejo is a two minute walk from the San Jose terminal in Limon. There is so much to do in your spare time but if it is nice then the beach is the place to be! Many people from the south Caribbean stay here http://www.hotelaranjuez.com/ when in San Jose. Staying near the airport makes little sense if you want to jump on the bus and get going next morning.

Cartagena, Colombia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

there´s also a good choice to see many wild animals if you decided to go to corcovado national park - you could even do a hike through. good bus service from san jose to puerto jimenez, buses to carate and then hiking to the la sirena station. you can stay overnight camping in the park, but have to ask for permit ahaed. would be a good combination to cross the golfo dulce (lots of dolphins, turtles, stingrays, ...) by boat and visit the animal rescue center near golfito. fantastic experience, very informative, lovely and hosting lady who runs it!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
4. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

The bus is very reliable and inexpensive as other have mentioned, I suggest taking a taxi into San Jose, and stay at the Aranjuez Hotel too. If you decide on the Mepe bus, the 12 PM bus will drop you off the the street entrance to the Rescue Center, just ask the driver to stop there, I'm sure someone on the bus can help with directions too, otherwise you'll have to take a taxi from Puerto Viejo to rescue center.

Edited: 2:36 pm, October 09, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
5. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

The airport is actually in Alajuela, not San Jose.

We had stayed at Hotel Casa Tago. It's US$ 6 from the airport. If you're only spending a night, this place is not bad. It is clean. Owners are very nice. $39 with private bathroom. Free wifi. A few blocks away from central park and restaurants.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
6. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

I think the Aranjuez is only $35 US per night if booked on line, its near center of town, close to everything pretty much, including bus terminals.

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 103
7. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

Hi Volunteer - I was at Rescate Jaguar today - enjoy your time.

Firstly - you are surrounded by wonder in Chiquita, Cocles, Uva, Manzanillo. I predict it will be a few weeks before you crave a true day trip but when you do....

I highly recommend Cahuita National Park, a short 20 to 30 minute bus ride from Playa Chiquita. If you chose to grab a guide at CNP, and I do recommend it, you will see almost as much wildlife in the Parque as you do at the Centre.

Hiker is the name of the most congenial guide at CNP. Capuchins, Howlers, raccoons, toucans, sloths... in abundance and all libre. Plus snakes and insectos but the guias will have to point those out.

I recommend walking all the way to Punta Cahuita for the most wildlife viewing, preferably temprano. Approx. 7 km round trip. Oh, and do not forge to notice the coconut trees dipping into the white sand and Azul waters. That's pretty sweet, too.

:)

Canada
reviews: 17
8. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

If you like snorkeling, you can do it right at Punta Uva and it's really great. We saw so many fish and even 2 Octopus! The reef is close to shore and easy to access. You could also plan a canoe or kayak trip or take surf lessons in the area. You could also travel to Cahuita and visit the park or head south to Manzanillo. There is a lot to do right around the rescue center and it is such a beautiful area you might not want to leave!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
9. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

You're still here Sockless? The good weather is hard to leave, no? So glad that you have enjoyed your trip too, Quincy Slave - did you snorkel in the NP in Cahuita in the end?

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 9
10. Re: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering

Don't plan anything for your free weekend. You will volunteer with many nice people from other countries and at the end you may just decide to spend the weekend with them. Aranjuez is a very nice option in San Jose and public bus will not be a problem at all. Enjoy your time at the Rescue Center, it is a great place!

Reply to: Jaguar Rescue Centre Volunteering
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...