We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finishing touches on pv trip

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 16
finishing touches on pv trip

Is it better to travel in pv with traveler checks or is atm/credit cards widely accepted?

Also, we have gone back and forth about taking the public bus vs semiprivate transportation. Any advice?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
1. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Traveller cheques have become a nightmare so ATMs are the way to go. Public bus is fine for many so hard to advise, really up to you.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 16
2. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Thanks geckos.

How are atm fees in pv and are credit cards accepted at most restaurants?

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
3. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

I'll look into the charges for you to give a solid answer, my sense is it's $2-3 pr transaction, but it's your bank that might have additional fees. For instance a conversion fee if you withdrawal the local colones instead of dollars. The ATM's allow you to take $400 per day, so you might find it unnecessary to. Make too many withdrawals. Many of the restaurants and most hotels accept credit cards. The smaller boutique hotels and cafes do not. NEVER exchange money at the airport--expensive and unnecessary. Paying with dollars will get you colones in change.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 35
4. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Just one note on credit cards in a restaurant. it is a good idea to ask. For instance Jungle Love does not take credit cards.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 55
5. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Travellers cheques are so outdated. Bring some dollars, and an ATM debit card. There are fees but nothing to worry about.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 5
6. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Plan on using cash at most restaurants, bring about $100 dollars($20 bills and smaller in good condition) and take out some colones at ATM at airport ATM upon arraival(SJO baggage claim area), I usually withdraw 100,000 colones(about $200 US). That will take of you for a few days without visiting the ATMs in town. Make sure you notify you financial institutions about travel plans.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 22
7. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Hey! I see you are a "travel expert" for Puerto Viejo! I am headed there in November. We will be staying at the Hotel La Costa de Papito. Hope it's as cool in person, as it in online! :) Any advice? Any great resturaunts? Should we do the Jaguar Rescue? We will be there for 3 days. Are there any ATV/off road adventures around there? We have a rental car, so we don't mind driving an hour, or so.

Thanks! ;)

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 5
8. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Costa de Papito is one of my favorite places on the Caribbean Coast, the owner Eddie and his staff are top notch and hotel location and grounds are great. Go to rescue center, go to Cahuita National Park, they do have ATV rental and tours, but you can enjoy more on bikes and hikes and better for environment. Favorite restaurants for splurging, Refugio Grill, Malbec, Pecora Nera, Jungle Love,Pita Bonita(though not expensive as the others, also love local places Johanna's, Selvins, Tamara's, Lidia's, Miss Sams. have a wonderful trip!

Canada
reviews: 17
9. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

We just got back from PV, one of the other guests at our hotel brought travellers cheques and no one even knew what they were. The ATM in town will give you Colones or US. Jungle Love and El Refugio in Punta Uva are cash only restaurants and you are going to want to eat at both of these, they are awesome!

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 9
10. Re: finishing touches on pv trip

Hi .. we do take credit cards now......... brand new service for our guests........ :)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...