We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival in Limon

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 9
Carnival in Limon

Hola! I will be visiting Puerto Viejo and Limon in October with my husband. We are looking forward to attending the Carnival in Limon, which I believe is the weekend of October 18-19-20. Any information would be welcome- will the weather most likely be hot? Any live music happening that we should not miss in Puerto Viejo from Oct.11 - Oct. 17? I heard about an organic farm near Limon... any info on that? Thanks so much!

15 replies to this topic
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: Carnival in Limon

You could try Punta Mona if you are looking for an organic farm although that is near Manzanillo/

Gandoca, rather than Limon. Carnival begins on the 11th until the 21st of October so reported Diaro Extra. www.diarioextra.com/Dnew/noticiaDetalle/64686

There is a band from Barbados and the live music is free. The 12th is the big horse parade called the tope.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
2. Re: Carnival in Limon

October is one of our best months, so you're almost guaranteed good beach, biking, and baking weather! The Punta Mona permaculture farm is a great place to visit for a day, or to stay a night or two. To get there you must walk 3 miles or take a 20 minute boat trip from Manzanillo (40 from Puerto Viejo). Nearly any of the tourism/adventure shops in town can help you book, or try www.puertoviejosatellite.com.

Puerto Viejo has nightly live music at any of 1/2 dozen venues. Most spots have an early concert around 5-7, typically acoustic or mellower music. Then after 8 you can pretty much walk through town with your ears open to hear who's putting out the best option for the night. The popular dance spots have DJ when live bands aren't playing. Try to catch some local Calypso while in town, La Costa de Papito has a Calypso night (Cocles), La Biela (Playa Chiquita) has local Calypso a couple nights each week... varies. Lazy Mon (PV) has a great Calypso band that plays an early concert weekly. Once you're in town, ask around and watch for little paper fliers posted about the weeks' best.

Chicago
3. Re: Carnival in Limon

Thank you Sara F and Janick2010... good information. I didn't know about the horse parade on Oct. 12, although we will be in Puerto Viejo. It's good to read and confirm that the main Carnival Parade is on Oct 19- we'll be in Limon that weekend! Pura Vida!

Chicago
4. Re: Carnival in Limon

Hola!

I got lots of info on the Carnival 2013 in Limon... on facebook, the group "Cámara de Turismo y Comercio del Caribe Sur" posted the following:

The program is as follows;

Friday 11th of Oct is the coronation of the Queen of Carnival

Saturday 12th "Encounter of Cultures" with a tope (parade with horses)

Sunday 13th Childrens Carnival

Saturday 19th Culmination of the festivities with The Grand Parade and closing ceremony that is a explosion of color, music and dance.

A bus will be leaving from Manzanillo picking up participants and spectators the morning of the Grand Parade on the 19th

I would also note that our friend, Reymond posted on his facebook page (Reymond Limón Con Sentido de Pertenencia) that there will be a horse race on the beach in Cieneguita on Sunday, October 13.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
5. Re: Carnival in Limon

Please let us know about your experience on the Caribbean side, especially in Limon. I personally don't like to be there at night, but I love the city during the day, lots of good shopping and eats, make sure you visit San Andres, best ceviche in the world, try the Super Bomba!

Chicago
6. Re: Carnival in Limon

Thanks, Cubanon- I read once about the Super Bomba, must try it this time! We're looking forward to our first time at the Limon Carnaval! We love the beach at Playa Bonita and having a cold beer and snacks at Quimbamba, the coco flan at Cocori Restaurant, the margaritas at the Park Hotel, the food at Black Star Line, the beautiful Catholic Church in town center, the mercado municipal, Parque Vargas... we will only go out at night with our friends from Limon, they will know the best places during Carnaval!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
7. Re: Carnival in Limon

Excellent plan to hang out with locals, they will know where o go to have a safe and enjoyable time! Do try also to check out a Limon Futbol Club soccer game also, a total unique experience, those fans are crazy.

Chicago
8. Re: Carnival in Limon

I read that the road to Limon is ok now. We have a driver, can we take Route 32? We plan to travel from San Jose to Puerto Viejo on Friday, October 11. How is the weather now? Thank you for any info!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
9. Re: Carnival in Limon

Weather is absolutely amazingly hot and sunny. There is still work going on to fully fix the road but traffic is passing through.

Chicago
10. Re: Carnival in Limon

Thanks, Sara F- I'm ready for some sun! And, I'm sure our driver will decide on the best route, but it's good to know that they have temporarily fixed the road.

Reply to: Carnival in Limon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...