We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster season

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Braunfels...
Lobster season

My family and I are planning a trip in January. I know the prime lobster season is ~ September/October--does this mean the season is legally closed in January or just not that good? Is it worth it to try at all, or legal to try at all? If possible, we'd love to get a few for a dinner, but only if legal & they may be in much too deep water then?

9 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 3
1. Re: Lobster season

I am not sure but believe the season closes later. Are you planning to eat them in a restaurant or catch them yourself? Pino, who is "Wahoo Fishing & Tours" captain is the ace lobster catcher in the area.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
2. Re: Lobster season

So much depends on the weather really. This time of year, the sea tends to be calm and the teenage boys dive down with a hooked pole and net and yank them out of the rocks. There was one year we were so tired of lobster, I had to go and buy chicken! Put out the word that you are looking for lobster and see who passes by...

New Braunfels...
3. Re: Lobster season

Thanks guys that sounds wonderful! We were hoping to do both eat them in a restaurant & catch them ourselves, if able. I'm not any sort of expert diver but have done some light lobstering in the keys up here in the States when I know the regulations. I just am not sure nor how to find out to do it ourselves--if the season is even open In January? What the size & number limit is? Do we need a license? I surely don't want to violate any laws & end up as a longer guest in one of your jails---as nice as I'm sure they are!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
reviews: 3
4. Re: Lobster season

You may want to send Wahoo Fishing & Tours a message, they are great people and I am sure they don't mind giving you more "official" info. They are out of the country at the moment so there may be a bit of a delay in response time.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
5. Re: Lobster season

Lobster season ends February 28, 2014, for Costa Rica's Caribbean spiny lobster.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
6. Re: Lobster season

Lobstering was closed March 1 until June 30 in 2013, likely 2014 will be the same. You don't have to be a pro to dive, you do have to be able to dive deep enough to pull them from the reef. Pino is a great guy who delights in showing the guests how to look for and pull the lobster out with a "noose" rigged on a fiberglass rod. You do have to be a good swimmer to keep up with him...

If you'd like to talk further, you can e-mail me so we don't violate TA rules on self-promotion.

Mooresville, North...
reviews: 7
7. Re: Lobster season

Did you find any great spots? We are going the first week in Feb and like you we love to go to the Keys for mini season.

New Braunfels...
8. Re: Lobster season

Cara, We ended up not doing any lobstering, and not much snorkeling. Pretty rough. I imagine it can be done, we just weren't that serious about it. The area is wonderful, though, and we did schedule a return trip in October, so may be different then. I think its possible for sure, just probably need to get more local info directed specifically at that, probably once you get there. I would definitely at least touch base with Janet (post # 6 above)--she gave us lots of good info, just when we got there we ended up not being serious about the snorkeling.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
9. Re: Lobster season

The seas are clearing. The guys were out yesterday, Tuesday January 28, and pulled in about 15 nice spiny. We are happy to offer whatever information you might like. We haven't really had our big winter rains, not sure if they are going to skip us, or come late. We'll see.

Reply to: Lobster season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted