We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Panama
reviews: 2
bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Can someone tell me the easiest way to get from the airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. /i am traveling with husband and we are most likely going to take the bus. Is it easy to find the bus at the airport? what do we need to do to connect? Thank you Hellen

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

You can't take a bus from the airport to Puerto Viejao.

You can take a bus from the airport to San Jose to the bus station where you can get the bus for Puerto Viejo.

To get the bus at the airport:

Exit the terminal and walk across the street towards the parking garage. Once you reach the sidewalk, turn left and follow that sidewalk around to the "main" street. Look to your right and you will see several bus stop kiosks. Go there. Look for the big red and white bus -- "Tuasa" - that runs between Alajuela (where the airport is located) and San Jose very frequently. It will say "San Jose" on the front. You will pay the driver in colones -- you can get colones from an ATM before you exit the airport terminal.

Once at the bus station in San Jose, take a taxi to the bus station for your bus to Puerto Viejo. Just tell the taxi driver you want the bus for Puerto Viejo and he will take you to the correct station. This map will help you: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php… Note the area where the bus from Alajuela will arrive and then north to the bus station for the Caribbean coast.

This will help with schedules: www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

This is also very helpful with bus information and other ways to get to the Puerto Viejo area and around:

www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
2. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

What time is your arrival at SJO?

Texas
reviews: 66
3. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Try to avoid Los Caribenos mepe bus company, they do not have any type of security. If you decide or have to take their bus, keep an eagle eye on your luggage, others will steal bags when they are unloaded from under the bus. I had a bag stolen just last month, though I will not return there I will not be recommending them. I went to the mepe office to issue a complaint, all they would say: "you have to take responsibility for your own bags". The driver pays no attention nor do they have any type of number system to provide security. Passengers have to leave their seats and watch as others get their luggage when stops are made, this is highly recommended. Do not leave any items unattended.

If possible use Caribe Shuttle, I took them to Panama from PV, much more reliable and secure, though more costly, they are the ones I will be selling. as saying goes: "you get what you pay for". The savings are not worth the losses.

Texas
4. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Try to avoid Los Caribenos mepe bus company, they do not have any type of security. If you decide or have to take their bus, keep an eagle eye on your luggage, others will steal bags when they are unloaded from under the bus. I had a bag stolen just last month, though I will not return there I will not be recommending them. I went to the mepe office to issue a complaint, all they would say: "you have to take responsibility for your own bags". The driver pays no attention nor do they have any type of number system to provide security. Passengers have to leave their seats and watch as others get their luggage when stops are made, this is highly recommended. Do not leave any items unattended.

If possible use Caribe Shuttle, I took them to Panama from PV, much more reliable and secure, though more costly, they are the ones I will be selling. as saying goes: "you get what you pay for". The savings are not worth the losses.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 11
5. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Depending on your arrival time, you have different options:

- Interbus leaving airport area around 7.15am

- Public buses at 6am, 10am, noon, 2pm and 4pm

- Airport Express leaving at 3.30pm

- Private van leaving once you arrived

Caribe Shuttle dose not (yet) run San Jose to Puerto Viejo. Interbus and Airport Express would be same type of service, shared shuttles with mini vans. You can also find lots of info about transportation on Puerto Viejo Satelitte: www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php

Texas
6. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

geckotrail, I stand corrected. I spoke w/Carlton from CS who told me he is working on transport SJ-PV, but you are right it is not yet in service. TBA

Costa Rica
7. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Well, yes, your luggage is your responsibility when you ride the bus. Some bus companies will give you a ticket for your bag(s) -- some won't. It's up to you to look after your "stuff."

Some things that might help: Bring a small bicycle lock and if there are two of you, lock your bags together. This will prevent the "grab and run" type of thing. If there is only one of you, then see if there is something in the compartment that you can lock your bag to -- sometimes there will be a pallet, for instance. If neither of these work, then you can sit on the starboard side of the bus (the side opposite the driver) and watch when the compartment is opened. Otherwise, yes, you will need to get up and watch when the compartment is opened.

And, of course, never put anything in the overhead bin.

Keep in mind that not all bus routes are as precarious as the one to the Caribbean coast - and - when you take that bus, it is very inexpensive compared to other methods of travel so not surprising that you have to be a bit more vigilant.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
8. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Hattie, why did you say "precarious"? I don't think the direct buses are a danger for ones luggage. 99% of the passengers are tourists or local ex-pats and I don't recall any incidents on that line. I must say though the terminal from where the MEPE buses depart to the Caribbean is not really a place one wants to be.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 11
9. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

ahvolare, that is correct. The Bocas - San Jose - Bocas shuttle is in plan and hopefully will be up and running soon. That also means we would have an other - welcomed - shuttle option to travel from and to Puerto Viejo.

Costa Rica
10. Re: bus from airport to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Sorry, Geckoes, I was trying to answer ahvolare's post about taking care of your luggage. Of course, a "directo" is much safer for anything in the compartment rather than a bus that makes many stops.

In all my years of riding the public bus all around the country, I've never had anything stolen from the compartment underneath the bus. Once I had my backpack stolen from the overhead bin inside the bus (totally MY FAULT for being so stupid). That's about it.

It seems to be some kind of strange logic to say you will never visit a place again because your luggage was stolen off the bus. I'm not sure that a bad bus experience has anything to do with the destination. In fact, my backpack was stolen off the bus on the way to Nicaragua but I still went there many more times and still used the public bus to do so.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...