We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly activities in PV

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 1
Kid friendly activities in PV

Hi y'all, my husband and I, my inlaws and our 3 yr old (she'll turn 3 while we're in CR) be in PV in a month (YAY!!) and I'm finally getting around to looking at activities. We're booked at Cariblue for 6 nights. Of note, we're scheduled to stay in Poas the first night and go to La Paz waterfall gardens in the morning but that's negotiable if there's similar or more fun stuff to do in PV. We could always just head straight to PV (we will have a car rental)

We want to some relaxing on the beach but also some activities. My daughter still naps in the afternoon but for something super fun and interesting, we could consider skipping it.

Here are the activities we're looking at, I'd love some feedback and any other suggestions would be welcome (just to be clear, we're not planning to do ALL of them)

Jaguar Rescue Center-I think this is a definite. I think we'll do a morning tour and grab lunch in the area (food suggestions?)

Rafting on the Pacuare- (just hubby and I)-still trying to decide since it takes a full day but I've done it a couple of times and I think it's just lovely. My in laws will need something to do with the little monster for the whole day.

Veraguara Rainforest -my MIL brought this up and they were inclined to do a full day. It's also an option for them to do it by themselves. If we did this, should we skip La Paz?

http://www.veraguarainforest.com/

Snorkeling- I feel like this isnt an option with a 3 yr old since it would be difficult to take turns watching her on a boat. I guess someone would have to stay back with her.

anywherecostarica.com/destinations/cahuita/t…

Tortuguero-are there any kid friendly activities there?

Cahuita National Park and swimming? We'd have to pack our own food and drinks, right?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions

11 replies to this topic
Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
1. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

Skip Poas and Veragua, yes to Tortuguero for a couple of days, Jaguar Rescue Center for sure, good snorkeling in Cahuita National Park with guide and on your own in Punta Uva in front of Arrrecife Hotel/restaurant. Good hikes at Cahuita, and also at Jairo Mora Sandoval Gandoca-Manzanillo National Refuge, with a good local guide.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

If you want to visit La Paz waterfalls & gardesn, I recommend you to stay 2 nights in that area. It will be too much for a 3 year old to travel to Puerto Viejo the same day. So you may just want to skip that and drive to PV directly or plan a night stay in the Turrialba area if you prefer to not drive it all in once.

Veragua is a nice place and they offer a variety of things to do. We went there once with friends and their kids and they all loved it. They have a tram, reptiles, butterflies, frogs, trails and a small canopy.

Tortuguero I personally would not go with a 3 year old kid. It is a lot of travelling on bus and especially boat. If you go through Moin, you will sit 3 to 4 hours on a boat. If you go with one of the lodges and/or through Cariari or Caño Blanco, you may have less time on the boat but more time on a bus. I think for kids below 5 it is a long journey.

If you want to do the snorkeling in Cahuita NP, you may have the boat dropping one adult and your child off at the Cahuita Head and they can enjoy the beach there whilst the rest is snorkeling. Or then just explore the NP one day on your own and bring your own food.

The Rescue Center is a must and you may even want to try out kayaking on the Punta Uva river. There is also a small farm up Paraiso Road, which is in Punta Uva. It is a local family and they have various farm animals but also offer a tour through their property.

So there is quite a bit to do, however, my boy loves nothing more than going to the beach and dig in the sand. Good spots to take children is the river next to Pizzeria Marcos in Playa Negra, the beaches in front of Chino and Lazy Mon, the little pools by Villas del Caribe or then the Punta Uva area (also good for snorkeling). I personally would reserve 2 or 3 days just for that.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
3. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

How about a chocolate tour?

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

There are different options for chocolate tours. Though not sure how much fun they are for kids - apart from the choclate tasting. Here some options for Chocolate tours:

- Chocorart / Visit of cacao fram and chocolate factory / show the entire process of making chocolate / Mon, Wed and Fri at 2pm, 2 hours, $22 p.p. / +506 8866 7493 or chocorart@ice.co.cr

- Caribeans Chocolate tours: http://caribeanscr.com/chocolate-tour.html

- Chocolate Lady Petronila / indigenous family showing the process of making chocolate and what the cacao means to the indigenous people / this is a mix of cultural information as well as processing chocolate / you can also taste / no reservation needed, $5 entrance

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

Dear Karin...

Like anywhere else in Costa Rica today...you can book everything direct...deal with service travel providers direct...

I have had no idea how many times I drove families from SJO to PV...and never ever I have had any problem...perfectly ok to drive the whole way...you really do not need to break the trip...

I have had been visiting PV area for well over 55 years...even when getting there was a whole adventure...bus train boat...that was somenthing else...now days my kids love just play at the beach...and as I did when I was a kid...they can stay day the whole day...of course plenty sun block...

roadadvisor

Texas
6. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

Thanks so much guys.

GeckoTrail, since the travel day to get to Costa Rica will be long by toddler standards, we were thinking we would stay at Poas the first night and rest and then do La Paz in the morning and then she could nap a little in the car on the way to PV in the afternoon since she'll be in her car seat.

Is Turrialba on the way to PV? I spent a week in Turrialba several years ago and I just love that little town.

I know the rafting companies often pick people up in Turrialba for the Pacuare tours and then the rafting trip ends fairly close to the Carribean but I didn't know you'd go through Turrialba to get there, but I also haven't mapped it out yet. If my in laws could drive in CR, I would stay in Turrialba for a night, go rafting in the morning with my husband while they drive on to PV with the kiddo and then get a ride from the end of the rafting trip to PV. But there's no way any of us would feel comfortable with that.

Re: tortuguero, I hear such conflicting things about going with a toddler, even in this post.

Re: veragua, is it similar enough to La Paz that we should just do one of them? My in laws seem really into it and I personally would rather just do one of them if they're similar enough (I've been to La Paz before). So that's why I was asking we should just do one of them. My husband and I want to get plenty of beach time since we're in landlocked Austin...my in laws live on the Florida gulf coast so they don't care as much, haha

Edited: 11:53 am, September 19, 2013
Texas
7. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

Never mind, I just looked at the map, I see where Turrialba is on the map relative to PV....

Now you have me thinking that might be a good option if you think skipping La Paz is a good idea....drive to Turrialba the first day, go rafting the next day and then we could either stay there another night or drive to PV that evening. The only downside is that there won't be much for my in laws to do with a 3 yr old in Turrialba versus going to a beach.

Or another option is staying in Turrialba on our last night before our flight the next day (at 12:30pm). It would be cool to show them a typical costa rica town.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
8. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

I would not go to Poas is opposite direction to PV, Turrialba is a nice Tico town, they can drop you off at Siquirres to do some rafting and head for PV. If you book with Exploradores Outdoors, they will drop you off in PV after the rafting.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
9. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

Is 3 yrs old too small to double saddle w mom or dad on a horseback ride? Could be fun as long as everyone is comfortable w it

Texas
10. Re: Kid friendly activities in PV

I wouldn't feel comfortable with her on a horse with us.

Reply to: Kid friendly activities in PV
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted