We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
"Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

I've just wanted to let you know about an agency that you should tell people to beware of (maybe this will help someone...)

it called "Travel Site" and it offer a shuttle to bocas del toro.

it is located just east from the mega super (or from pagalu right then left)

and the little story goes like that: we booked for 11am just the day before, and asked if it's includes a transportation up until the hostel itself in boca, as we have suite cases and it's hard to walk with them.

they said that yes, no problem.

the shuttle only went on 12 (and they told us that at 10:50...), as a matter of fact there was like 5 people that ordered the 8am shuttle and they decided to let them know in the morning that they will leave at 11 (then 12....)

when we got to bocas there was no shuttle/taxi to take us to the hotel, just a guy who waited with us for a taxi (that we paid for it...)

so that's it, I hope that other will not get lied to like they did to us.

tnx, Nitzan

18 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 28
11. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We booked our travel in 2011 with roadadvisor (Hi roadadvisor, good to see you on here!) He is not only a knowledgeable and active participant in these forums but also a great guy...we had a nice ride with him from San Jose to Uvita. Everything he told us ahead of time (pricing, timing) was exactly what we got and he gave us lots of interesting info about CR on the way...he even let us stop to take a pic of the parrots. I'd recommend him whenever you need a driver in CR and we will definitely use him again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
12. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Dear kirbyderb...

Thank you for your kind words...nice of you...GRACIAS!

roadadvisor

Miami, Florida
reviews: 4
13. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Worst experience ever in Costa Rica, Puerto Viejo, or anywhere else.... Do NOT I repeat do NOT use Travel Site!

travel_site@hotmail.com

I booked my shuttle 2 weeks ago to Bocas for today at 8am.

No shuttle...!

Called at 8:15 and they said it "wasn't their responsibility" and the only go with a minimum of 4 people. We are two people.

We could come all the way back from Cocles to Puerto Viejo to get a refund or leave at noon.

I decided to hire a private shuttle with caribe shuttle for $110 at 10am instead and have a friend drive me to Puerto Viejo to get a refund.

And it gets better. There was no one in the office.

Long story short they finally arrived. I got a refund.

And caribe shuttle saves the day.

Use anyone but Travel Site in Puerto Viejo...! For your own good!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 35
14. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

I have seen Caribe Shuttle only go with one person. I have also seen other shuttles from San Jose operate this way. That is why I prefer to book with a reputable tour/travel agency. They weed out thse type of operators as they can not afford the hassle or bad publicity.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
15. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Thanks for giving the email address, John. It is worth pointing out for others that most reputable companies don't use a hotmail or yahoo email address. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

Texas
reviews: 66
16. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

Maybe that is why they charge only $20. Caribe Shuttle is the way to go, costs a few $$ more, but they are punctual and reliable. They also will carry your bags to the boat, I was so grateful for that as I was not returning, the person carried all my bags on/off, put them on top of the bus got a good propina. Youngster who asked "propina por acomodar sus bolsas" did not.

Edited: 3:10 pm, October 04, 2013
Sarteneja, Belize
reviews: 3
17. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

I also booked Travel Site (before seeing this post). It was fine to get to Bocas but the return from Bocas to Puerto Viejo was an absolute nightmare!! Firstly, nobody told me what port to wait at or anyone's name or anything for going back on the boat. Each port told me to go to the other one. I waited for two hours until finally a nice man helped me call one of the taxi drivers. I had to buy my own ticket to the mainland and then got picked up by a sketchy guy who was asking me to come to his house. As a solo female traveler, this was a huge concern for me. Then at the border some one walked with me across and then asked for tips several times for the 50m walk. Then they put me in a taxi where they said nothing, and the driver just walked around and talked to people without telling me what was happening. Finally I asked him and he said we would wait for other people but he didn't know how long. We waited an hour and I insisted that we leave. He brought me to another car and we left, only to stop along the way to pick up and drop off random people along the road as he pleased. On arrival, they offered to pay me 6$ for the boat ticket and that is all. So I argued to get my money back for the return. Finally the guy offered me 20$ and told me I had no morals, but he would pay me because I was upset and making a scene. It was an AWFUL experience and I don't recommend them to anyone. Very sketchy stuff and not organised at all. Try another place if you want a shuttle, but NOT TRAVEL SITE!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 35
18. Re: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!

We still book recommend Caribe Shuttle. $32, pp No issues that I am aware of.

They also have a San Jose to Bocas run and Bocas to San Jose. It has been popular. It allows many people to take in both Puerto Viejo and Bocas as you can get shuttle on Bocas portion and local Interbus (or public bus) for Puerto Viejo portion.

Reply to: "Travel Site" a bocas del toro shuttle to stay away from!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...