We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

I am arriving to San Jose airport at 2.30 pm local time and would pick up my wife from Tuis on the way to Puerto Viejo. Per google map it says its 244 km and should take a little over 4 hours. If I rent a car from airport, I should able to leave around 3.30 and would reach Puerto Viejo around 8.00 pm. Is renting a car from San Jose and dropping to Puerto Viejo a good option or should we look for something else?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

Where is Tuis?

San Francisco...
2. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

Tuis – from the map, take route 2 east from San Jose airport, continue on route 10 east, take exit on route 232 (Pass by Banco Nacional (on the left in 6.0 km)), drive for 10 km and arrive to Tuis

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
3. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

The drive from the airport to Puerto Viejo via turrialba will be 5.5 for someone who is familiar with driving in CR. it will take you 6 at least. Driving distances after dark is not a good option so you may want to look into staying the night near Tuis.

Costa Rica
4. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

OK - the "San Jose airport" is actually in Alajuela and Rt 2 doesn't go there.

My map doesn't have 232 or Tuis on it, so I guess I can't help you. Going by way of Rt 10, you would be going through Cartago and Turrialba.

Not a good idea to drive after dark. It gets dark around 6 pm. Narrow roads, late afternoon showers or fog, crazy drivers, people on bicycles riding IN the highway with no reflectors, one-lane bridges, etc etc.

For what you are wanting to do, it's probably better to hire private transportation rather than drive yourself. www.tucanlimoservices.com gets great reviews here and I recommend them.

Also: Google maps is fine for maps but for distances and driving times in Costa Rica, not so much. More like 5+ hours.

Edited: 3:18 pm, June 24, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
5. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

It looks like Tuis is SE of Turrialba - turn off of route 10 before Pavones. (at least according to my Nat Geo map) I think it would be advisable If you can overnight in Tuis, then continue on to Puerto Viejo in the morning. I haven't been on route 10, but would imagine you could easily encounter rain/fog & the roadway probably isn't lit.

You may hit rush hour trying to cross San Jose, so that's another consideration.

Edited: 3:40 pm, June 24, 2013
Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 36
6. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

If you have cell connection, I use WAZE which is a free gps. It is quite good. You can get chip at airport if your phone is unlocked.

I drive San Jose to PV and back every 2 weeks on Rt 32. My average time is about 4hrs and 10 minutes. But I am used to driving in Costa Rica and have gotten much better at it.

Car drops are expensive. Research cost.

Costa Rica
7. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

Yeah, but he is driving from Alajuela, through San Jose and by way of Cartago Under the circumstances, I wouldn't count on that neat 4 hours and 10 minutes you experience, colinsito!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
8. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

I would spend the night near the airport in Alajuela, start very early the next day for Tuis then on to Puerto Viejo. Unless you use Poas Car Rental, your drop off fees are going to high, as mentioned by Colinsito.

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

It will be easy 6 hours...the road to and out of Turrialba is better than ever...that time for a person than knows the road or a person with a good map...I drive often to Turrialba and takes me around 2 hours with a short stop at La Posada de la Luna...to get the world famous Tortilla de Queso...

From SJO to Puert Viejo with nice weather and traffic moving..around 4 hours...I drive there at least 4 times a month...and have somenthing to eat at Tamaras ...great banana bread...

Roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
10. Re: Driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo via Tuis

OP, just be warned that roadadvisor is a pro driver with only God knows how many kilometers under his belt, so just don't count to duplicate his timings. There is no real need for a rental car while in Puerto Viejo, so your best way should be to stay a night in Alajuela, and hire a driver (and Tucan Limo Services is known as one of the most reliable here) to take you and later also your wife to Puerto Viejo. This is bestsolution both comfort wise and also money wise

Edited: 7:13 pm, June 24, 2013