We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Which place do you get to see the animals up close and personal? Which gives you the most bang for your buck? Which would kids ages 12 and 14 prefer?

thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Fort Collins...
reviews: 45
11. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Karin - you said "the entrance fee is not cheap" - isn't it only $15 US? I guess "cheap" is a relative term. I would think that is very cheap and reasonable. We paid a lot more money than that to go to a rescue center near La Fortuna. It was well worth the entrance fee there though, as my husband/daughter/I had a private tour with a guide, got to see all kinds of animals, learn about them all in addition to plants. It's called Proyecto Asis and is on TripAdvisor as well. If anyone is ever in that area, I highly recommend it. We did the half day tour and volunteering (chop up food/help feed the animals/clean cages). We paid $48 for each adult and $27 for our daughter. So that was definitely not cheap! However, I have to say that it was one of the best experiences. It was so cool to be able to see the animals up close. I also didn't mind paying the money, as I knew it was going to be put to good use (the animals). So we are super excited to visit the Jaguar Center in June! We can't wait to see more animals and learn all about them!

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 1
12. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

There's an animal rescue that lets you get closed and personal with the animals (baby monkeys, baby anteaters, sloths, marquette cats, and tons of reptiles. It's just outside of Puerto Viejo. The locals can direct you to the location.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 30
13. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

That is the Jaguar Rescue Center OP referred to.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 34
14. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

$15 is too much? How much should it cost?

Our guests at Banana Azul overwhelmingly choose Jaguar Rescue center. I can not imagine that Sloth Sanctuary would be any cheaper. One other thing... if u r in PV, then it is about 20 km drive to get to Sloth Sanctuary.

I just had a family of 5 go to both, because the girls were nuts about animals. They loved the Jaguar Rescue center so much, they told me they wished they had passed on the Sloth Sanctuary. They also felt the "add-on" canoe tour was not worth what they paid for.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 30
15. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I agree. I wish I had known ahead of time about the "volunteer activities" at Jaguar. Also for people with limited time in the area it is important to know you can't just drop by and be admitted. They have specific "tour times" so you need to be informed and arrive on time for those. Great experience and imo well worth the $15 fee for this opportunity to view the animals, birds, reptiles and enjoy the casual experience. I made a donation in addition to the fee. We had a very interesting young local man who clearly explained how working here allowed him to change his previous ways in dealing with the wildlife community and helped him to explain to friends he grew up with how important it is to manage their interaction with wildlife with more respect to maintain the beuty and balance of the jungle.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 9
16. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

If you driver yourself you can always stop at the Sloth Sanctuary getting to Puerto Viejo or when you leave. However, if you want to go to one or the other and not both, I would for sure go to the Jaguar Rescue Center - a great project and worth the $15 entry fee.

Upstate NY
reviews: 1
17. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

That is great for those who want to see sloths. What about those who want to see Jaguars? Do they have them on site? Can you hire a guide to see one in the wild? I hear they are not seen too often in the wild at all.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
18. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Your best chance to see a jaguar in captivity is to visit Las Pumas rescue Centre near Canas (on the other side of the country). Or maybe Zoo Ave near Alajuela. In the wild? Not really.

San Jose, California
reviews: 4
19. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Jaguar rescue center all the way. I went to both and the sloth "sanctuary" is not a sanctuary at all and the animals are confined worse than zoo animals. It makes me sad. Jaguar rescue center do amazing things with the owners being both actual zoologists who understand animals needs. And the volunteers there are very knowledgable. Sloth sanctuary needs to go over there and visit to learn a thing or two about sloth habitats and change how they care for their poor guys.

Punta Uva, Costa...
reviews: 4
20. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

The Jaguar! Love this place! The owners and staff are 100% committed to the happiness and well being of all the animals they rehabilitate. Their main aim is to return healthy animals Back to the wild. The entrance is not such a thing when you consider it goes towards helping all the amazing animals they care for. After all, it's only $15.00, and most of my guest (especially the ones with children) enjoyed it far ore that the Sloth Sanctuary.

Edited: 11:48 am, November 05, 2013
Reply to: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted