We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Which place do you get to see the animals up close and personal? Which gives you the most bang for your buck? Which would kids ages 12 and 14 prefer?

thanks!

20 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I have had been visiting the Sloth sanctuary for years...and kids just love it...

roadadvisor

Edmonton, Canada
2. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Thanks for your advice, are the La Paz Gardens worthwhile to do in addition to the Sloth Sanctuary?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

They offer some good trails...IMO the entrance fee is way to much...worth it? IMO NO!

roadadivsor

Edmonton, Canada
4. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I was thinking the same thing about the cost. Thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
5. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I just happened to read another one of your brilliant posts (see below) Road Advisor:

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Limon...to Cahuita...Limon...make a left at light in Limon by the railroad tracks...all the way to Rancho Robertos...make a right toward Puerto Viejo de Saparapiqui...left at the light...drive along Sarapiqui river...all the way to Aguas Zarcas...right by the church...follow signs...about 3 kilometers is a tiny sign ...Arenal Volcano/La Fortuna ...amke a left...all the way...past the road to Muelle...just keep going straight...until you reach Bamboo bar...make a left...all the way to el Tanque...make a right...all the way to La Fortuna!

Great drive...nice roas all the way...some of the roads on that part of the country were payed by the IRAN CONTRA DEAL! Incredible!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

How long do you think this drive would take?

thanks again,

monica

Nanaimo
reviews: 8
6. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

Jaguar rescue centre was great for us. Lots of baby sloths and monkeys and almost every animal of Costa Rica. This is a real class act. The centre has great staff and the cages and grounds are perfect. We were impressed. And the entrace fee goes to help the animals. Have not been to the sloth sanctuary but was not let down with our time at the Jaguar. Brad & Roxanne. :) roxbrad@hotmail.com

La Fortuna
reviews: 4
7. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I vote for the Jaguar Rescue Center as well as they have many more animals than just sloths and the staff & volunteers there are fantastic! Enjoy! :-)

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 32
8. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I have only been to the Jaguar Rescue Center. It was a terrific morning and I was SO happy I decided to travel to the Caribbean Coast! This was one of 3 great experiences there!!! You have to make a reservation for one of the tour times. I did the morning one and was happy to watch volunteers bottle feeding baby sloths in their laps. Other sloths were roaming free (hanging in bushes eye level). A small deer followed us like a lap dog. These people are doing extraordinary work! I wasn't in love with the variety of reptiles ;-) kind of skipped past those to the beautiful birds and more interactive play with the monkeys! When they tell you NOT to take your camera into the monkey enclosure LISTEN oh, and sunglasses as well. The little devils seem to want them for themselves. Can't imagine a better experience for the kids. Great place for photos as well.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 1
9. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

I completely agree on a vote for the Jaguar Rescue Center. It was phenomenal to be in the actual Howler monkey enclosure (baby howlers, oh my!), that adorable domesticated deer, the toucans and just the overall knowledge (and passion) of our guide. The resident big cat they had while we visited was an ocelot: beautiful to see from up close. It was 15$ USD in October '12, and worth every penny.

Also, it's very valuable to learn about the local snakes (which you will)...

Edited: 11:06 pm, April 16, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
10. Re: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?

We loved the Jaguar rescue centre. When we were there, we had the chance to get very close to the baby howler monkeys. A rescued deer was keeping us companied during our tour and wouldn't stop licking us (but that's just because they like salt and they find it from sweat. LOL). A little woodpecker was hitch hiking on everyone's shoulder and back pack. We heard a heart breaking story about Gena the owl and the brain-damanged ocelot. We also saw a group of baby sloths.

The entrance fee is not cheap cheap but the $ goes to help these injured, endering, endangered animals and we're more than happy to pay the price. The staff there are very passionate and work extremely hard to take care of the animals. They're really doing a fantastic job. I follow them on facebook and often see the amazing work they do. Highly recommended.

Reply to: Jaguar rescue center or sloth sanctuary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted