We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to PV

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 25
Driving to PV

Hi there! I will be driving from Uvita to PV to stay at the AMAZING Banana Azul (hi Colin!). I've heard it's a pretty long drive, so I have a pregunta for you guys.

Do you think it would be best to leave Uvita a day early and split up the drive by staying in San Jose for a night along the way? Or do you think it would be best to bang the drive out in one, very long day? We are scheduled to stay in Uvita 5 nights, then drive to PV and stay there for 3 nights.

Any input you have will be greatly appreciated!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 48
1. Re: Driving to PV

Just depends on your driving abilities. If you LOVE driving slow, on twisty roads with spectacular views, then you can do the one day trip. If you will drive to Uvita using the coastal road, then use the PanAm highway till Cartago and then drive to Caribbean coast via Turrialba.

In case you want to do it in two stages, Cartago is a large town easy to find accommodations. Or stay somewhere near Turrialba for shorter drive to Puerto Viejo.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Driving to PV

It will be about a 8 hour trip, you don't need to go into San Jose, spend the night in Cartago or Turrialba, or just make the drive in one day with a lunch stop in either Cartago or Turrialba.

Seneca Falls, New...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Driving to PV

Wondering if anyone has driven from SJ to PV recently. We'll be coming from Cartago area. How long should we expect it to take. We'll be driving during the daytime, on a Sunday.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 48
4. Re: Driving to PV

Why would you return toward San Jose when there is reportedly fine road no.10 from Cartago via Turrialba and Siquirres to Puerto Viejo?! From Cartago to PV de Talamanca is about 4 and 1/2 hrs. From Cartago to San Jose to Puerto Viejo is 5 and 1/2 hours plus whatever you will waste driving around San Jose.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 25
5. Re: Driving to PV

Route 10 from Paraiso to Guapiles is a slow (twisty mountain) but beautiful drive. From there on 32 it is flat with banana plantations then down the coastal route to PV. The drive can take closer to 5 hours with traffic but is the obvious choice from where you will be.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 28
6. Re: Driving to PV

As I dont drive from the Pacific often, I am not the best person to ask. Canotico's assessment of the two types of roads is very accurate.

7. Re: Driving to PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 29, 2014