We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo for a Week

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Puerto Viejo for a Week

Hi!

Two friends and I will be staying near Cocles for about 9 days in early March. We are in our late twenties.

I haven't been to PV since summer 2004 and neither of my friends have ever been.

I know this is a pretty broad/vague questions but..

How has PV changed since 2004? When I was there, the only real nightlife spot had just burned down. The town seemed very safe. I even walked from downtown PV all the way to Playa Chiquita by myself late at night. I won't be doing that again! There were very few tourists around. Captain Zero tried to hustle me but besides that I never had anyone really approach me during the entire visit. It was a great time.

Is the town still that safe? Where are the places that people hang out in the evenings? Are there new bars? Is there more tourist hustle? Is beer still $.75? Is Cafe Rico still open? Any "must do things" while we are there?

Thanks! Any updates or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
1. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

For sure the town has changed lots since then, more people and business, also prices are much higher than 2004, but probably so in Brooklyn. take taxis at night, stay away from the drug scene, leave valuables back home and should be safe. And yes Cafe Rico still there as is Patrick(Captain Zero)

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Just common sense...some changes and some great new people and some not so nice...but still a great people that we natives love...and visitors enjoy it!!

Just be carefull about some people that will try to sell you anything...they do anything for a commision..well almost everything..

ROADADVISOR

Hawaii
reviews: 10
3. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

My wife and I are going in mid-March and have never been there. I love this question and want to re-ask; what is the night life like? Recommend good/fun places to party, dance, catch a band, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 35
4. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Lazy Mon & Mango seem to be the most popular these days for tourists. Of course weekends are busier.

Dont worry... Town is so small you will hear where all the action is ;-)

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
5. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

There are always great places to linger.... If you're into Sports, The Point Bar & Grill in Playa Negra, just before Puerto Viejo proper. For great micro-brews, Kaya's Place is brewing several from local sourced products (including cacao, mango, honey, and ginger). Mangos beachfront has live music several nights a week, and DJ't the other. Chili Rojo has frequent entertainment and great place to people watch. Koki Beach isn't a night spot, per se, but great for watching the nutty nightlife that is Puerto Viejo walking by. LazyMon is great in the late afternoons with sunset concerts or later when things get shaking. Stashus conFusion, south of town, frequently has entertainment of one form or another--mystics, music, dance, and great ambience to pre-funk before you go out and party. A favorite Beachbar is TastyWaves down in Cocles, don't miss Taco Tuesday(s!) great food, cheap and always a party. Beers everywhere are about $2, but shots are often a buck. Use your head, don't get stupid without someone watchin' your back, and like the other's have said, avoid the drug market... i'm betting you'll have fun and build great new memories.

Brooklyn, New York
6. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Thanks everybody! I'm counting down the days!

Fort Collins...
reviews: 31
7. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

I read everybody's reply to you and now you should be back! So now I'm asking you questions! I am going to CR June 2nd-June 12th with my 13 yr old twin boys (brave, I know). We will spend half the time in the Arenal area and half the time on either coast. I considered the Pacific side but thought it had too many massive hotels. So I chose Puerto Viejo. Obviously we aren't doing the bar scene and music to all hours of the night, but what I really want to know is how safe the area is, and the boys' exposure to the drug scene. The drug scene is mentioned by a lot of reviewers. We have really fun activities during the day such as the sloth sanctuary and Stand Up Paddle and snorkeling. I would think we would eat no later than 7 pm. What do you think? What was your experience? Do the locals bug you like they do in Cancun, for example? In Cancun, they comb the beaches for people to buy stuff. You can't even have a peaceful time on the beach there. Did you happen to go to Punta Uva beach? Many reviews give it high marks in terms of beauty. Any comments and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! Nancy

Edited: 1:03 pm, April 20, 2013
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
reviews: 8
8. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

You don't have to worry about any of those concerns, your kids and you will have a hassle free holiday.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Not Sure why RoadAdvisor would warn you about people selling things for a commission? His website of Toucan Limousine Services is full our tours etc being sold for a commission.

Maybe he could clarify?

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Hola Tiggernbd003, I would check out La Costa de Papito for your trip. They do families well and you are not in town. Yet, you are across from the beach and close to Punta Uva and close to town as well.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...