We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Negra v Cocles

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 66
Playa Negra v Cocles

Here is a question for the expats living there. How does Playa Negra compare to Cocles in safety and secure properties for owners? Maybe a good question for the Banana Azul and other owner/s. I have not been to BA and not familiar w/that side of the area. I always stay in Cocles and found it very secure w/nice beach.

Thank you.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 8
1. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

i don't think there is much difference in safety between the two areas. personally I like the areas South of PV better since you'll be closer to (again opinion) the nicer beaches and certainly more beaches.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 37
2. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

Since I have been here ( 8 years) I always got the feeling that Playa Negra was "down market", my first choice was Playa Chiquita". However I ended up in Playa Negra despite warnings from everyone that "no one goes to Playa Negra".

Anyway... Obviously with me... The rest is history. I love it and would not change if I could. For me... Despite all the issues with 200 meter zone, I would never change it unless I was forced to. I came to live on a tropical beach and I did not compromise. I think it also has a lot to do with why our hotel is so busy.

Security... All the same... Just depends what month it is ;-)

All the beaches seem to have their own special charm. Punta UVA is considered by most the most beautiful, but then my idea of beauty is not packed with cars on weekends.

I have personally found the most important thing here... Is the place you live in. That it is secure and comfortable. If you have that... I think almost any area would work. For me... The house has to come with a beach.

Texas
3. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

What is most important to me is security and access to grocery, bank, bus, restaurants (all eateries). Does PN offer these as does Cocles? I can walk from Cocles to PV, not sure if I could do so from PN, so the bus would be a necessity for sure. Of course, I realize all this depends on where I will be in PN (private house and I will only know that when I go there), as I am not at all familiar with that side.

When I am in PV on the beach, PN (Banana Azul area) look like quite a distance.

Texas
4. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

I assume you ended up in PN because of Banana Azul? Good post. I agree house comes w/the beach. I am not a beach swimmer (can't even swim), but I do like the beach for relaxing and I love boating and so far Cocles for its accessibility to PV, Saturday produce sales, sodas, etc.

Edited: 3:22 pm, January 17, 2013
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
5. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

No, ahvolare, Banana Azul ended up in PN because of colinsito.

As I have stayed for a week both on the north side (Playa Negra) and south side (Punta Uva) of PV I have to agree that south side is more "civilised" i.e. more houses, and shops etc. There is basically one only narrow road that goes along the coast and it is not very "friendly looking" for a lone walker. So if you are asking about where to stay for a week of holidays then Playa Cocles has more to offer. For walking only Playa Negra is fantastic. Rough sea, views, jungle, ...

Safety is a personal issue. For me, as I had no problems both times, PV is a safety town. For whoever was robbed there PV is very unsafe town.

Texas
6. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

xelas, I am not looking to spend a holiday/vacation, not this time.

The areas I have stayed in besides PC, also PV and my first trip there was to Punta Uva, all have been very enjoyable and fortunately I have never had a problem with safety either, but I am cautious. Want to explore further. Are there several sodas/restaurants in the area of PN? That would be important to me, along w/the other necessities I mentioned in another post

I had it reversed re colinsito, he really accomplished something there. Bravo to him! Thanks for enlightening me. So if I was to walk the beach (not the road, though I walked the road a few km's beforew/out a problem, I just met some tourists doing the same) PN to PV, how long would that take me, is there a safety issue doing that?

Some of the property owners had advised that walking the beach between PC/PV might lead to some safety issues, I never had any, but I did see some passed out on the beach....just kep on walking.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
7. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

You have been to Puerto before, so you know the scene, almost always safe during the day, taxis at night, anywhere along the coast! From Black Beack to to PV abut the same distance as Cocles to PV.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 37
8. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

I agree with Xelas, Playa Cocles would be better for you as there is better access to amenities... Also their tends to be better and larger selection of accommodation.

Texas
9. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

According to your previous post, you found your place in PN, though you had preferred PC, ended up where you are and would not change. I was told the same about PN about going there, and that it was unsafe, I believe the persons who claim that want the business in their area. (?)

I do not see any difference between PN & Cocles as a place to settle. The need would be only for food, bus access, not accommodations, as that will taken care of.

If the distance from PN to PV is equal to that of Cocles, I see no problem, and I always walk in daylight, never out after dark.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
10. Re: Playa Negra v Cocles

Ahvolra, I think you should contact mrs.Lisa on http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com/ If I remember well she used to loive south of PV and now she moves to a house near Playa Negra. She might give you some first hand answers.