We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, Canada
reviews: 10
Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

I see on google maps that highway 36 crosses from Costa Rica to Panama so is this the easiest passage to Bocas Del Toro? Should I expect much of a hassle crossing the boarder?

14 replies to this topic
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Its not bad, there can sometimes be a bit of a long line going over the border. Try to get an early start and you should be fine.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Easiest way is by http://caribeshuttle.com/ , but you can also do it on your own, plenty of public buses to border from Puerto, from there taxi to Almirante and then water taxi to Bocas. But I really recommend the shuttle.

Fredericton, Canada
3. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Thank you for your response!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

I do recommend if you do on your own that you start early in the day, and if you are returning to CR, you have proof of exiting the country or you might have to purchase a bus ticket out.

Fredericton, Canada
5. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

I will probably fly out of Bocas with Nature Air.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Either way, if you are going back to CR,make sure you have proof with you. This can be your e-ticket or other documents.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Great advice by Cubanon...and he knows our Caribbean...

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 35
8. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

I too recommend our guests use Caribe Shuttle. It is just easier and saves some hassle.

If you are flying back to San Jose from Bocas, make sure you check which days Nature Air flies.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
9. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

Everyone is correct, easiest way and affordable way is to use Caribe Shuttle AND make sure you have a print out of your flight out of Costa Rica back home. Nature Air/ Panama officials won't let you fly if you don't have printed proof that you have a flight or bus or something booked out of Costa Rica. You will also need cash, $15 dollars pp, to exit Panama thru the airport back to Costa Rica.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
10. Re: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro

We just did that trip 2 weeks ago. We paid $20 for the whole trip, including car and boat to Bocas.

There is a Tour/travel agency in the downtown area in Puerto Viejo that will pick you up from your Hotel. I dont remember the name but it should be easy to find if you ask. They also help you to get across to Panama. You need your Passport and your return ticket or E-Ticket. In Bocas there is a nice Hotel called Olas at between $40 and $50. Very safe place, that you can walk to when you get off the boat.

Reply to: Travelling from Puerto Viejo to Bocas Del Toro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted