We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium, Wisconsin
reviews: 33
Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Does anyone know of tours or ways of seeing manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Refuge?

guanacaste
reviews: 31
1. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Not that I know, in the Tortuguero Canals , yes

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Actually, manatees in Tortuguero are extremely rare to see, do to the polution and boat traffic in the Tortuguero canals, the manatee population estimated to be around 100, have moved to more remote lagoon within the area. They do have tours to go see the manatees in at nearby San San Estuary in Panama, but it requires a border crossing into Panama, not hard to do, but will require setting aside a whole day. You might want to get a hold of Abel Bustamante in Manzanillo to see if he does this tour his phone # is 88957394.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

I remember long time ago seating with a very nice old man from Tortuguero PANFILO...he used to tell us about the stories about Manatees at the the Tortuguero lagoons...but also he used to tell us that they were very much gone...PANFILO toll me that maybe 30 years ago!

roadadvisor

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Found more information for you, www.tropenprojekt-panama.de/index.php…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Thank you Cubanon...nice of you...

roadadvisor

Belgium, Wisconsin
reviews: 33
6. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Thank you Cubanon and roadadvisor your comments and suggestions.

Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 74
7. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Hi! We run Wahoo Fishing, a fishing, dolphin, snorkeling business in Puerto Viejo. While we don't see manatees every time, we have had several manatee sightings when the seas allow us to get right up to the beach at the lagoon. Today, in fact, over the course of an hour, we saw manatees 7 or 8 times. The trick is to get into the lagoon or as close as you can. If, when, you get to town, we are happy to talk with you and help you determine a good way and time to get in. I'd probably hook you up with Junior Palmer, a local guy who does a great job.

Washington DC...
reviews: 48
8. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

It's been about three years now (so depressing, time flies!) but I went to Panama for the day and did the tour that Cubanon mentioned in the San San Estuary and we did see manatees. I will throw in there that we had to wait about 2 hours and the sandflies were killer so wear pants if you can or at least bring bugspray! But it was awesome when the manatees appeared, and we got to see them eating banana leaves. As Cubanon said I would set aside a whole day.. I've spent 1-2 hours just trying to cross the border from Costa Rica into Panama and you never know how long you will have to wait for the manatees to appear! (If they do indeed appear).

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

Thank you for returning to forum and reporting your follow up information Lindsay.

10. Re: Manatees in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 29, 2014