We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aviarios Del Caribe?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Aviarios Del Caribe?

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights in the Puerto Viejo area and I am dying to go to Aviarios del Caribe one day to see the sloth sanctuary. Has anyone been there and about how long of a cab ride is it from Puerto Viejo? Is it worth the trip? Are there other activities in the area we'd be able to do in addition to the sanctuary if we only had one day there?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
1. Re: Aviarios Del Caribe?

I would combine Avrios Caribe with a trip to Cahuita beaches/Nat'l park. We thought is was well worth it. There were many infant sloths (can't touch, but you can get close up and watch them, they're soooo cute)! Buttercup, the first one to the sanctuary is a permanent resident and you can pet her. There are also rescued sloths from ones the have been hit, attached or electrocuted from power lines, all being doctored up for a potential release back into the wild. There was one that had bandages on all four legs, poor thing. :( They tell you which ones, and why, will or will not be re-released. We got some great pics and did the little walk around their small refuge area. I believe it's about a 20 minute cab ride, don't forget to keep copies of your passports on you.

Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Aviarios Del Caribe?

I combined it with Cahuita snorkeling and a hike. I was so excited to go and was a bit underwhelmed. That being said, I'm glad I went and would recommend going. You can take the public bus to/from PV, Cahuita, and Avarios del Caribe. Just tell the bus driver where you want to go. Like the last poster said, have copies of your passport and arrival stamp with you--there's a checkpoint you'll pass through.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
3. Re: Aviarios Del Caribe?

Aviarios is about 20 minutes north of Cahuita, not PV. They have early morning guided canoe tours (you just sit & the guide does all the work) through the adjacent estuary with great birding opportunities and some interesting storytelling. There are a few short trails and there was a band of howler monkeys making a racket while we were there. I would call them up once you're in PV and make a reservation for a canoe trip, then visit the sloths and then head back to Cahuita for a hike in the national park (even mnore monkeys) and some snorkeling before returning to PV. Makes a great day trip.

Because some of the cruises that hit Limon have organized excursions to Aviarios, you want to be sure and call first so you don't visit them on a day when the cruise ships are in port, as things can get a little crazy and crowded those days.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
4. Re: Aviarios Del Caribe?

Sorry, forgot it was that far away from PV. I was thinking it was closer to Cahuita. I'm sure the amount of sloths they have at any given time vary as well. But, they do walk you through and tell you all of their stories, which is interesting. We didn't do the canoe part because we were doing other things that day.

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Aviarios Del Caribe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 17, 2009