We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie, Canada
reviews: 182
Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

I'll be driving from S.J to Cahuita on Sunday, Sept. 2nd and wonder about places to stop for coffee and washrooms...a serious issue since I'll have my 80 year old mother with me! I just know from past experience on this route that places are closed on a Sunday (great for workers but not older ladies!) so other than 'wait for Monday' do any of you country experts have helpful advice? Many thanks!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
1. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

When we stop for lunch/bathroom break, we stop at CaribbeanDish in Siquirres, left side of main route #32. This is a popular stop for other tour buses and car rental drop off, but I love their rice and beans and Caribbean chicken(pollo Caribeño)

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

Totally agree with Cubanon...CARIBBEAN DISH...great people...great food...they will even take you to see the kitchen...incredible of course if your mother will like to meet a 100$ Caribbean chef...such a nice people...rice and beans Jamaican style I love the chicken...

roadadivsor

Edited: 5:05 pm, August 19, 2012
Barrie, Canada
reviews: 182
3. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

Thank you for your advice and I assume this recommended stop is open Sundays. Gracias

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

It is open SUNDAYS...for sure...

Once again you are WELCOME!

roadadivsor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

The gas station washrooms on Route 32 are usually well-maintained. Ask the gas attendant for the key if you need to - there aren`t a whole load of gas stations but if you do get stuck, any restaurant will let you use the restroom even if they charge a few hundred colones (less than a $) for the service!

Chicago, IL
reviews: 15
6. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

Sundays are the best days for traveling that road. There are fewer trucks and you can make good time. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

What I do is a choose a restaurant that looks nice and clean...and go in and buy a bottle of water...and use the toilette...it works all the time...

roadadvisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
8. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

There speaks the voice of experience on the roads of Costa Rica!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
reviews: 35
9. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

My favorite restaurant is Roberto's Rancho at hgwy 32 and 4 ... Right at the corner. Nice sit down place, good service and good food. It is located right at the base of the mountains... About just over 1 hour into your trip.

My other place I like is Soda Primo which is about 5 kilometers past Earth university on your left side.

Caribbean dish in my own opinion is one of the worst places along the trip. A roadside restaurant situated in a dusty parking lot, with a large screen tv blaring in the background and rude service.... Next!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
reviews: 5
10. Re: Sunday driving from San Jose to Cahuita

Here some info/pics of Caribbean Dish, http://caribbeandish.blogspot.com/