We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
norfolk
reviews: 4
Cahuita

Planning Costa Rica 2013.

Have Canuita in my sights ( Playa Negra )..

Is this a good and safe spot ?

First week at Punta Uva ( Korrigon Lodge) Any other suggestions or ideas please would be appreciated, should I be moving on further?

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
1. Re: Cahuita

Playa Negra Guesthouse would be a excellent place to stay in Cahuita, while the Korrigan Lodge is a good as it gets in the Puerto Viejo's Punta Uva area, if not the Caribe Sur. As far as safety, just use common sense, leave your expensive gadgets in the safe or back home, only carry enough money for day's use.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Cahuita

I will stay at one place...and Korrigan´s is a lovely spot...great couple runs the place...friendly and proffesional...you will be in great hands!

roadadvisor

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 37
3. Re: Cahuita

I would read through past postings for safety issues just so you travel safely aware of some "issues" in these areas. I felt safe during daylight hours walking, bike riding etc but would not walk in dark areas at night. Taxis are readily available. Take very little with you when going to the beach ie: towel, snorkeling equipment, not cash or valuables (camera, ipad etc). This is a beautiful area and casual so no need to flash jewelry etc! The beach at Punta Uva is stunning.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
4. Re: Cahuita

Already Puerto Viejo is a small town (you can cross it by foot in 30 min taking time for window shopping and a cold beer), Cahuita is even smaller. I would stay in Puerto Viejo area and visited Cahuita (and Manzanillo) as a day trip. How many days after a week at Korrigan's are you planning to stay in Costa Rica? What are your preferences?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Cahuita

obxpat is right; there are recent posts about safety issues but Cahuita remains a very small, friendly and safe town. The advice given is wise to follow in all of Costa Rica - don't make expensive items visible to others; you are in a comparatively poor country and you are rich by local standards.

The south Caribbean is a unique part of Costa Rica with its own food and culture and is well worth visiting. Where you decide to make your base should be based on a number of considerations: your transportation (beyond Puerto Viejo the local bus service becomes quite limited, otherwise it runs hourly. Obviously, if you rent a car all is easy!) and your preferences (Puerto Viejo is quite a party town and attracts a lot of young backpackers, Cahuita is quieter but still has bars and restaurants, Manzanillo and Punta Uva are tiny if you want to get away from it all).

Have a wonderful trip!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 74
6. Re: Cahuita

Question on hourly bus?? Coming from Cahuita to Banana Azul...would that just be one straight bus ride? Are the times posted?

Sara - Im really looking at doing the boat tour to the park as you suggested on a prior post.... then staying behind to venture back on our own but hang out a littlie in Cahuita. Any suggestions once leaving the park??.

Edited: 9:29 pm, September 11, 2012
San Francisco...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Cahuita

Its safe. I just got back from Banana Azul in PV and loved it!! PV is a lot of fun. We stayed 6 nights and even canelled another destination because we loved it so much. Its right on Playa Negra. Bikes can be rented there as well as boogie boards. You can cycle around down to Manzanillo and Punta Uva and rent surfboards at Cocles. I miss it so much already.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
8. Re: Cahuita

So happy you had a good time, Maeappel! From Cahuita, the bus will take you to the end of the Banana Azul road and you can stroll on from there. Cahuita doesn't have the amount of bars and restaurants that PV has, but there's some good places to hang out and people watch - Cocos and Ricky's in the town center are two bars to catch a drink and the Reggae Bar on Black Beach overlooks the ocean and is a favorite afternoon beer point for locals, ex-pats and tourists. If you don't fancy a beer, there are plenty of fresh fruit drink options too!

If you're feeling adventurous, a local guide can take you hiking up to the local waterfall and to the mysterious communication tower that the US army built decades ago for unknown reasons but offers a fantastic view over the whole of the town.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
9. Re: Cahuita

Yes...coco's and rickys! Cahuita was an amazing, safe experience!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
10. Re: Cahuita

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your time, Tom C! Any other suggestions of things to do?