We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Il
reviews: 102
Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip in Jan 2010 to CR's for some diving on the Caribbean side (unless someone can suggest otherwise on the Pacific side). Her son is going to join us for a few days and will want to take his PADI open water dives here...any suggestions on a great dive school (shop), accommodations, and the best dive site(s) ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !!

Thomas

San Jose
reviews: 22
1. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Good morning! I am not an expert in diving, but it seems to me that January might not offer the best Caribbean diving experience. Weather wise, January tends to get rain in this area and thus, waters tend to benot as clear as they would be other times of the year to offer an optimus diving experience. I believe best diving experience would be around Sept to November and maybe April and May. Maybe one of the "Limon" or "Puerto Viejo" or Cahuita experts will be able to provide some more insightful information and you might one to double check me.

I know that most people coming down for Scuba / PADI services around that time of the year usually go Pacific. Ocotal hotel has one of the best diving schools in Costa Rica for PADI, certifications, etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you from your visit to the Caribbean, as I do love and love the SOuth Caribbean coast, I just want you to verify before traveling so you make the most out of your experience!

Have fun

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
2. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

I can't imagine the diving being good in January, usually the ocean is rough, great for surfing, not so good for snorkeling and diving. Ask at local diving shop for their opinion as to whats the best time, usually Sept-Oct in my opinion.

http://www.puntauvadivecenter.com/

http://www.reefrunnerdivers.com/

Antigua, Guatemala
reviews: 16
3. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Hi,

If you guys really want good diving head to the Osa. Cano Island is considered one of the best and there are tons of Lodges in Drake Bay area that offer PADI courses, plus it's spectacular diving!

hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Agree with my AMIGO Cubanon and Marina...

Luis

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
5. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Am a PADI and NAUI Insructor

Rich Coast Divers Nicoya

www.ocotaldiving.com

Costa Rica Adventure Divers at www.jinetesdeosa.com

in the Osa

Would be your best bet in Jan.

www.utiladivecentre.com your best bet in CA.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 35
6. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

We have had very good reviews from our customers who dive who have used CrocoDive. http://www.crocodivecaribe.com/html/home.html

They have a very nice boat as well. I am not aware of dive excursions in Cahuita. Puerto Viejo has at least 3 options and maybe 4.

USA
7. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Thomas. Do yourself a favor and AVOID renting a car from U-Save or Avanti.

Getting lots of reports from angry customers who were ripped off and not happy with credit card overcharges from U-Save or Avanti.

San Jose
reviews: 22
8. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

excuse me cr racer, I'm curious, and would like to ask. Since your posting had nothing to do with what our friend here was asking, I got curious and checked that on your 3 other forum postings you're complaining about Avanti and how bad they are... did you have a bad experience with them? What happened that makes you post these comments? As a frequent rental car user I would really, really like to know what kind of problem did you have and why you can make these affirmations. Thank you

Edmonton, Alberta...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

Have you considered taking a bus from PV to Bocas del Toro and diving there? The reef is well protected and doesn't get as cloudy as PV. Just a thought.

I dived Cano a few times and it's OK. There were lots of big fish but I prefer diving in live coral areas - hence, I am partial to the Caribbean.

10. Re: Looking for the Best Costa Rican (Caribbean) Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2010