We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or no?

Which Sarapiqui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Rent a car or no?

My sister and I (25 and 27) are planning to fly into San Jose and then spend a few days in Sarapiqui, a few days in La Fortuna/Arenal and the rest of the trip on the coast at Playa del Coco. We were thinking of renting a car for the first half of the trip and then dropping it in Liberia on the way to the coast. Worth renting or should we stick with shuttles and buses? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Rent a car or no?

Yes it's worth renting a car as it gives you much more freedom to explore. Attractions in the Sarapiqui area are all spread out although the town itself is tiny. Arenal is also a spread out area where having a car can save you dollars as you don't have to take all the tours but can drive right to the sites and pay reduced fees for admission (with a few exceptions). Having a car at the beach also gives you the freedom to explore adjacent beach areas which is always fun.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Rent a car or no?

Great idea to rent a car...you can save money and time...the areas you mentioned some of them...are great areas but even better if you have your own transportation...once at the beach just seat and relax...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
3. Re: Rent a car or no?

Very helpful, thank you!

San Jose
reviews: 22
4. Re: Rent a car or no?

I think you have already been given some great advise. I would just like to add a couple of personal opinions,

1. rent a GPS: It is definitely helpful, specially in Costa Rica where roads are not that well marked, specially outside of the city.

2. Drive on day time: It will provide great seightseeing of the little towns and areas, and with some narrow roads, it is definitely best to drive during the day.

3. Have fun and enjoy the ride! It is a great experience.

5. Re: Rent a car or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 15, 2013