We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamrindo or elsewhere?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 6
Tamrindo or elsewhere?

Hi. We are a social couple in our early 50's and are making our way to CR for the first time. Tamarindo seems like the place for my husband as it isnt too off the beaten path as he has never travelled outside of Vancouver before and doesnt want to spend a lot of time moving around (think basecamp). We thought of the Capitan Suizo Ocean Breeze room as it seems a little out of town but close enough to town he won't feel to 'in the woods'. Its pretty expensive, I would have preferred a kitchen, but a small fridge will do. I think it is the grounds/pool/bar that sold him. We would be staying for 10-12 days after 5 or so days SJ - Arenal/La Fortuna.

My question: flights for March 2015 won't be released for a while and I am wondering if we will be out of luck if we wait to book until August 2014 when the seat sales come in?

I really love the idea of Samara beach but can't seem to find a place within his comfort level. Know of any?

One of our issues is that he does enjoy a smoke when having a cocktail and most of the properties that we have looked at (within his comfort level) are no smoking. Never, ever, ever does he smoke inside but always on the deck.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated!!!

5 replies to this topic
Edmonton Canada
reviews: 35
1. Re: Tamrindo or elsewhere?

The Capitan Suizo hotel is lovely, and a popular choice in the Tamarindo area. It would be a good "base camp" for activities around Guanacaste. Samara is a lovely beach town, a bit quieter than Tamarindo but a bit further away from the usual day outings around Guanacaste. I don't know enough about specific lodging choices there to help your search, but I'm sure others will give their advice. I don't think that you will have any difficulty booking flights in August for March 2015 travel, but you may not find much in the way of seat sales from Canada-- I travel to Costa Rica several times each year from Canada, and the prices seem to just get higher closer to the date of travel.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: Tamrindo or elsewhere?

Costa Rica is no smoking, country-wide. The law was passed pretty recently and for a while, enforcement was pretty lax. But now things are getting tougher and some hotels have been fined.

You can't smoke on a balcony or patio of a hotel, but most hotels have smoking areas outside somewhere - usually covered and with some seating.

Think of it this way: If I, as a non-smokier, was paying $200 a night for a hotel and wanted to sit on my balcony which was next to yours....... would I be happy if your husband came out onto the adjoining balcony and lit up?

For some smokers, they manage to deal with the no smoking situation. But others have "sworn" that they will never ever come to Costa Rica. So something to think about.........

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Tamrindo or elsewhere?

Thank you for your help McDoc Edmonton!

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: Tamrindo or elsewhere?

x

Abington...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Tamrindo or elsewhere?

If you are looking for a place with a kitchen, I would recommend looking at condo rentals in Langosta on vrbo, we have had great success with the condos there and for a good price! We are heading back down this weekend for our third time.

Reply to: Tamrindo or elsewhere?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted