We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Playa Potrero...
reviews: 8
Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Last week, my husband and I were in the Sunrise Mall across from hotel diria. We were approached by a young man that offered us a day pass to Langosta Beach club for listening to a sales presentation. We thought it was regarding a development that was part of Langosta Beach club. Since we have been curious about the beach clubs, we said sure and met the young man and his sponsor a couple days later. When we went to the Beach Club, it was a team of people (southern Californians) just in from Mexico that were "selling" factional ownership, but honestly, we are still not even clear. The name they went by was Luxury L* Alliance. I cannot remember the second L. I have tried to google them and cannot find anything. They had materials that had "brand names" that looked like common travel industry logos but with different words in the familiar script. The gist of the "product" they are selling is that in exchange for an upfront fee ($100k+), you can book through their company at reduced rates for luxury hotels, airfare, cruises, events, etc. for a predetermined number of weeks per year. They also spoke of plans for furture development around Tamarindo/Langosta, but when pressed for details or plans they said the printer was down. They couldn't show us anything concrete in spite of the fact many of their people appeared to have iPads.

We have been through time share presentations and this was no hard sell. It simply appeared to be individuals offering us too good to be true hotel rates (think Ritz Carlton for $600 a week in season) and event access (The Masters Golf Tournament) because they "buy in bulk"

We think the whole thing is a complete scam, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything else. They offered us no materials to take with us and even went so far as to destroy the handwritten notes they made during the presentation. There we no last names, business cards or anything that would allow us to follow up if we were interested. What worries me most is that they are training locals to reel tourists in off the street, so if it is a scam, then it's bad for the locals in regards to reputation and finances!

Anyone know anything?

13 replies to this topic
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 20
1. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Thanks for the heads up!

I generally have found that whenever something seems fishy, there is usually a legitimate reason. Things that seem too good to be true generally are just that.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
2. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

timeshares/fractional ownerships and the like are some of the oldest scams in the book. Thanks for letting folks know about your experience.

Toronto
3. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Was it Luxury Link?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 136
4. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Offering Masters tickets is a HUGE giveaway that its a scam.

Masters passes are only issued to members and through a small lottery. There is no "buying in bulk".

Playa Potrero...
5. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

It was Luxury L* ( don't recall) Alliance. I remember bc I thought LLA and they were from S. Ca, which made me associate to LA, though the gringos were from San Diego it turned out. Luxury link is a real web-based travel site, offering real packages. We have booked through them before and had a great vacation.

Playa Potrero...
6. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Very true regarding the masters. Now, is there anything can be done? I hate to see something like this in process and it seemed like they were new to it in the area...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Some expats are not very nice people...they come to our country and without even legal papers to be here or work here...they scam people...the most common scam is between USA poeple against USA people or Canadians to Canadians...etc.

Thank you to let us know about this group of people...

For other people ask them to show letter no COPIES sign by ICT or Commerce Secretary to prove that they are certified to make or try to make sales.

People like the want you mention givfe a terrible name to our country...please help us put this scammers behind bars...that is exactly where they belong...THIEVES!

roadadvisor

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 95
8. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

We too were approached last week during our stay. "Eric" had us play a little scratch card, and can you imagine we "won" free lunch at Langosta...all we had to was listen to a presentation! Thanks but no thanks my time is more valuable than a free lunch.

We asked about the scam at the B&B we were staying at and an email had been circulated by locals about the scammers. Apparently the little red golf carts they drive around are also irritating the locals. What seems surprising is that Langosta is hosting these guys...that can't ultimately be good for business.

Playa Potrero...
9. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

We wondered about the association with Langotsta Beach Club as well! Maybe the way to send them packing is the beach club's management?

We knew that it was some sales bs, but a day at the beach with bathrooms- we figured the 90- minutes was worth it. We are not the kind of ppl that will (normally) get sucked in...

We did walk out with 2 day passes for the beach club that we can use later ( they do blackout day passes during Xmas).

I just wonder how they can be stopped in th area. It's just bad for everyone in the community. Thoughts?

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
10. Re: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam

Well, I think we will have to look to Surfsponger, Craig B, Pokey CO, Jamie K, Elizabeth G, Judd D, -- all of whom live in Tamarindo or have property there to try and solve this. Perhaps they can find out how, under Costa Rican law, the town can rid itself of these scamsters.

I do think that contacting Langosta Beach Club is a good idea.

Reply to: Warning to travelers in Tamarindo, Fractional ownership scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted