We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
reviews: 34
Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Hi,

We are from Hawaii and my son is very good at bodyboarding. He uses fins and has his own very expensive bodyboard. We are going to be in Tamarindo for a couple days and are debating on whether to take along his bodyboard or if there is a place there that he can buy a very good board that would be comparable to his. I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Kihei, Hawaii
1. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Bump

Edmonton Canada
reviews: 36
2. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

I don't think that you will find much other than basic bodyboards in Tamarindo. I looked around last summer as I wanted to upgrade our equipment but there were no shops that had anything better. You could contact one of the surf shops in Tamarindo, such as Kelly's and ask if they know of a source or could bring one in for you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

High-end body boards in the local surf shops (Mangos, Quique, etc) can be almost twice as expensive as similar boards in the US or online... Most rental shops do not rent quality body boards... My advice is to bring one down, maybe even try to sell it to a local shop at the end of the trip...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Tamarindo, Province of Guanacaste, Santa Cruz
reviews: 1
4. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

I agree with the above posters, bring your own if you can. Might try Iguana Surf. Once I purchased the elusive body board fin straps there.

Denver, CO
reviews: 54
5. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

As noted by others, good boogie boards are very limited in supply here and cost twice as much as in the states. Some shops sell small boards for kids, but there is a more limited supply of adult sized boards. But also verify what fee the airlines will charge to check a boogie board as luggage. I believe that they treat boogie boards similarly to surfboards and charge a hefty fee.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Agree any surf stuff is expensive here...if you rent some maybe not the best...sorry

Roadadvisor

Kihei, Hawaii
7. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Just curious how expensive those bodyboards might be in Costa Rica, because I would like to compare it to the costs of traveling with it on a few different plane trips to get there and then to come back home with it. Might be cheaper to buy one there and sell it at the end or just leave it? Thanks for all the helpful answers so far.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Hey going2maui, what did you guys end up doing if you don't mind me asking. I'm in the same predicament now.

Edmonton Canada
reviews: 36
9. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

We brought two boards down from Canada by putting them in a box. If the weight and dimensions are within limits prescribed by the airline, they will treat it as a second piece of luggage (We flew United). Depending on the airline and your fare class, you may be subject to extra fees but they should be less than the exorbitant rates charged for a surfboard.

Kihei, Hawaii
10. Re: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?

Aloha Dennis - We rented the bodyboard from Kellys surf shop in Tamarindo. My son has a $200 bodyboard here in Hawaii and they do treat them like a surfboard if you are planning on taking them on a plane, so we didnt really want to take it there and just leave it. Plus we were also traveling via Nature Air a few times and I didnt want to pay their fees either for bringing it along. I think the rental at Kellys cost about $10 a day and it was a better type of bodyboard. I would advise bringing along my own strap. We ended up buying one because my son likes the kind that straps on the upper part of the arm and the rental didnt include that kind. I really do not like recommending Kellys because we had a problem with our surfboard rentals there but as far as the bodyboard is concerned, we had no problems. Have fun in Costa Rica...it was one of our best vacations by far.

Reply to: Serious Bodyboarder/Boogieboarder - Rent/buy in Tamarindo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted