We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tamarindo...
Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

My fiance and I are staying in Tamarindo for the month of May, and we wanted to make it out to Witches rock at least once. Last time we were here, we rented a car and drove down to Avellanas and Playa Negra, so I'm not opposed to driving. I was quoted $40 for a shuttle per person if we found 2 other people to go. Is it a difficult drive to do ourselves, or would we be better off taking the shuttle?

Also, my fiance gets a little nervous in surf much bigger than 8 feet...would she be okay at witches rock? I've read it can still be awesome with a small swell, so I'm hoping to find a time where it's not way too big. Any information to help us plan our trip would be awesome..and if anyone else wants to join, let me know!

Manuel Antonio...
1. Re: Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

During rainy season the road gets really rough, if you are going to drive make sure to ask at the front desk of your hotel about the conditions of the road, I'm sure they will have the connections.

From May to November Roca Bruja is affected by on-shore winds which make higher waves.

You can also find charter boats that will do day tours to roca bruja.

Please visit www.costarica-familytours.com/index.htm . Great info about Roca bruja there.

Pura vida

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
2. Re: Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

If you can get a group together or join an existing boat charter out there, you should do that. You can go out of Tamarindo or Playa del Coco to Witch's Rock.

Check here for surf reports; magicseaweed.com/Witches-Rock-Playa-Naranjo-…

If you drive, you need a 4x4 and it will take much more time on the road than on the water in a motor boat to get there. Ask around for boat trips and put yourself on a list with your available dates. Usually the more people they can get on the boat the lower the per person price will be. Spend less time traveling and more time surfing!

Tamarindo, Costa...
3. Re: Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

These guys are right on the money about the rough driving to Witch's Rock in May. We too recommend a boat trip, and if you want to get on a boat trip with others you can do so at our surf shop, Waves Costa Rica, or Witch's Rock Surf Camp or Kelly's Surf Shop.

4. Re: Witches Rock Surf trips - Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 17, 2014