We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rimouski, Quebec...
Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Hello guys, i'm 20 and i'm presently looking to spend most of the summer in Tamarindo, mostly to surf. I'll probably go with a friend but it's not sure yet, maybe alone. I plan on going there 1-2 month. I've never surfed yet. At first I was looking for Santa Teresa, but since i'm a beginner I think it would be better in Tamarindo and I think it's more developped. I did my research about logging but I still need some of yours advices.

I think the three best choices would be these..

Blue Trailz Hostel

Villas Macondo

Hostel Pura Vida

I also thought about Witch's Rock Surf Camp but it looks more like a camp and I don't know what would be the price for all summer long. I'll have to contact them.

Do you guys have some advices for me about these places ? Or others suggestions..

I was also wondering if it would be safe for us(or me) to live in Tamarindo? Is Tamarindo a safe place for a young canadian adult like me ?

Thanks, I appreciate!

9 replies to this topic
Edmonton Canada
reviews: 28
1. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

First of all, yes, you will be safe in Tamarindo, provided you exercise common sense (Keep your belongings secure,don't drink stupidly or get involved with drug use). And I'm sure that you will have a great time. It is a great place to learn to surf and you will meet lots of people from all over the world while there.

You will probably want to travel around once you gain more confidence in your surfing abilities, to Playas Langosta, Grande, Avellanas, Negra, Witches rock, or further south on the Nicoya peninsula. Take some time to travel around Guanacaste (Hattie has posted a great list of "things to do" in Guanacaste)

As for specific accomodation, any of your ideas would be good, but Blue Trailz is right across from the beach, on the main road. Villas Macondo is about 100m back, on a quiet side road. Hostel Pura Vida is more of a trek to the surf break at the north end of Tamarindo beach.

Edited: 10:30 am, May 11, 2013
Rimouski, Quebec...
2. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate! Yea i'm sure I'll have good times in Tamarindo, I just wanted to be sure in case i'm going alone..

My main concern presently is the accomodation...Since we'll be there the whole summer, I suppose we wont go to the restaurant each day so that's why I think having a little kichenette would be great. Also it would be great to have some kind of deck outsite with a table and hammock to chill out so a cabinas or something like Villas Macondo have would be better compared to a room in a hotel like WRSC have, if i'm right.

Of course if i'm going alone finally, I suppose I'll only get a room with a common kitchen or something like that.

Does someone have more suggestions for the accomodation considering my situation ?

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 90
3. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

I think you'd enjoy Witch's Rock Surf Camp and you can stay there without being in the "camp" part. The people are great, you'd meet a ton of other people in your age range and I think it's a good fit. Enjoy!

Tamarindo, Costa...
4. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Witch's Rock Surf Camp is great for someone traveling alone because it has a lot of people coming in and out for the sole purpose of surfing. They also have great food in their restaurant. However, you won't get your own kitchen. If you are looking for a hostel with shared kitchen, we recommend Las Brujas, which has just been redone. Of course, as already stated, Blue Trailz is closer to the beach, and Villas Maconda is a nicer room with hammocks outside your door.

Rimouski, Quebec...
5. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Thanks a lot guys! Presently i'm more heading to Villas Macondo but i'm still open to suggestions! I think Pura Vida Hostel would be better if i'm going solo. Do you think Pura Vida has a 'younger' clientele compared to Macondo ? It would be nice to be with people my age or around. But Macondo looks so nice, is closer to the beach and have a nice pool :)

Is Pura Vida really far to the surf beach ?

Another question, do you think AC is necessary in the summer months ? (June-August) At Macondo I have the choice between a room with and without but it's a bit more expensive.

Rimouski, Quebec...
6. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

bump :)

Rimouski, Quebec...
7. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Which one has more social personality ? I don't really want to be 'isolated' in the hostel. I want to meet people and be social since I'm going there alone.

Macondo looks more confy considering I'll be there the whole summer and have a nice pool but Pura Vida looks great to socialize.

And what about AC in the summer, is it necessary ?

Edmonton Canada
reviews: 28
8. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

My advice is to go to the place with A/C. After you arrive, if you find that you don't need it, you can move to a different room-- but I think you will be glad you have it. High temperatures in July and August are a bit lower than in March-April but still will be ~32-33C and the humidity is higher. I haven't stayed at Macondo but I walk by it regularly when in Tamarindo and there usually are lots of people around your age there.

guanacaste
reviews: 30
9. Re: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?

Witches rock surf camp

Reply to: Summer surf trip, where to stay ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted