We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to costa rica - your suggestions

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philly
reviews: 5
trip to costa rica - your suggestions

a couple pushing 60 years old looking to go to beach on west coast for a week in early sept. trying to decide between three all inclusives, Barcelona, Occidental and Riu Guanacasta. We will pretty much stay at resort, do a day long trip to Arenal Volcano and hot springs and perhaps to one of other park areas. would love to snorkel off the beach and not really interested in "night life".

Your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Tamarindo, Province of Guanacaste, Santa Cruz
reviews: 1
1. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

I think you mean Barcelo Hotel. What would you consider the ideal all-inclusive resort? Just a suggestion, but best snorkeling would be off a boat, like a catamaran sailing cruise that stops in remote bays with clearer water.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 165
2. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

My Wife and I are both 60 or almost, and I can relate a little to where you are coming from. First off, the RIU has a terrible reputation, so you may want to mark it off your list. You may want to add the Westin Playa Conchal. If you plan to have your own transportation, this is not a bad location, and it certainly has both a good reputation and very good reviews here on this site. If you did decide that you want to look around town and shop or go to one of the local cafes, or for that matter take a cruise, Tamarindo is just a short drive away. I will suggest that you don't try to do Arenal and hot springs as a day trip. It would be better to split up you stay by staying part time in the Arenal area and part time at the beach. Just my take. My wife and I will be going back down in October, and we will be moving all over the country in our two week stay.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

Agree with new jade about trhe RIU...100% ...BArcelo is nice and small...great location...just steps from the water!

roadadvisor

philly
reviews: 5
4. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

thanks so much for this post. It is exactly what I needed to hear to help me make my decision.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 18
5. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

What about September rains?

Sacramento...
reviews: 107
6. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

Westin at Playa Conchal is in my opinion the best all inclusive and I like that it is located about 20 minutes from Tamarindo as well as being adjacent to and within walking distance of the little town of Brasalito with interesting restaurants to try if you wish to have a break from the all inclusive meals.

Sacramento...
reviews: 107
7. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

Regarding September rains, you will more than likely run into them. October is the worst for rain, but in September you could get several afternoon hours of rain to even all day showers. The earlier in September, or if possible in lateAugust you would be better off.

8. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 26, 2013
9. Re: trip to costa rica - your suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 03, 2013