We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Tamarindo

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
reviews: 62
Safety in Tamarindo

I have read a lot about the safety in Tamarindo. In the past tourists have experienced robberies and even murders. I'd like to know what the current conditions are in the area?

How safe are the streets and beaches at night?

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
1. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

We were just there - 5 girls travelling together. We were out until about midnight each night. Plenty of people out at that time and theredidnt seem to be any problems. It looked like a place where you could find trouble if you wanted it, but trouble wouldnt really come looking for you. We didnt go out on the beach at night though, so i dont know about safety there.

I wouldnt hesitate to go back.

Tamarindo
2. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

Well said. After midnight it can get sketchy and yes, you can find trouble. Don't take more $$ than you need; leave your jewelry at home; go home by midnight; and stay off the beach at night. We have more petty theft than anything. If you leave your belongings unattended they could very well walk off. Violent crime is very rare.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 3
3. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

Thank you November ...that is the best way to explain the situation around Tamarindo...if you look for trouble you will find it...just common sense!!

roadadvisor

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
4. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

I loved Tamarindo, by the way - it was a lot of fun. I loved the laid-back vibe, the little shops and restaurants, sitting out and having drinks at the restaurants right off the beach, snorkling and kayaking, the people - it it just a cool play to chill for a couple days (or longer, but we only had a couple days).

guanacaste
reviews: 36
5. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

I just spent a few days in Tamarindo Diria with my family. We walked at night, during the day, on the street, on the beach, not a problem. We went to the beach in front of the hotel, not a problem.

Just use common sense please.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Tamarindo, Province of Guanacaste, Santa Cruz
reviews: 1
6. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

Agree... great summary from everyone. True of Tamarindo and any tourist beach town in the province of Guanacaste.

Boca Raton, Florida
reviews: 45
7. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

I was in Tamarindo for 5 days in June(by myself).I felt totally safe.But I always feel safe in Costa Rica.I took taxis if it was late back up the hill where I was staying.Just be careful,as in any tourist town worldwide. Don't carry alot of cash or leave valuables in your car.I keep one credit card and enough cash to get me home.I live in South Florida;crime is bad here too.Enjoy your vacation,Tamarindo and all of Costa Rica are fun and great places to go

Tamarindo, Costa...
reviews: 70
8. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

I agree with others but would like to emphasize the importance of being cautious about petty theft or "crimes of opportunity". I feel quite safe in Tamarindo, but I do not let any valuables out of my sight. Don't leave any valuables on the beach while swimming or at a dining table while going to the restroom. Don't leave any valuables visible in an unattended vehicle, even if locked.

This is generally valid advice for any tourist destination in the world, but I think that petty theft is much more frequent in CR than in a tourist area in the USA.

Tamarindo, Costa...
9. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

Tamarindo is safe if we do insurance, people with cases of theft is that they neglect their safety leaving valuables in the sand while bathing or having decuidos with the pouch in this case women.

is safe if your things and take care not to neglect, yet here there is no known case of a criminal to steal a deadly weapon or dangerous to be walking the streets alone at night but would not hurt to be cautious

10. Re: Safety in Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo